The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Carter, who is from Brighton High (Rochester, N.Y.) said he remains committed to the Orange, but will officially visit rival Rutgers on Jan. 25.
As of late Monday, Carter said he was yet to speak to anyone associated with the Syracuse program, which is brought on by the timing.
This is an NCAA-mandated dead period, which means contact between coaches and prospects is not allowed. It ends Friday, which means Carter will have to wait a few more days before getting some answers.
"I know the coaches are at a meeting in Nashville," Carter said. "They can't call me until Thursday or Friday."
Carter missed the last month of the season with a broken fibula, but he is close to being 100 percent.
He scheduled the visit to Rutgers because the coaching staff continued to pursue him despite his Syracuse commitment. He made an unofficial visit in the summer, and was also in attendance with the Rutgers recruits during the Scarlet Knights' victory against Syracuse during the season.
"I scheduled a visit with Rutgers because they offered me as well," Carter said. "I will visit there and see how it is."
Carter, who officially visited Syracuse last month, also has an inside connection with the Scarlet Knights.
"I know a lot about them," Carter said. "I've chilled with one of my friends there, (linebacker) Quentin Gause, so I know a good amount about them. I've seen their stadium, I've seen Quentin play. I've seen all that. It's pretty cool."
During the season, Rutgers and Buffalo were the schools to remain in contact with Carter. However, aside from Syracuse, he is only looking at one school.
"It's just Rutgers for now," Carter said. "If anything else, it's just Rutgers."