Lagow Left Out?

Xavier HS product QB Tim Boyle

Signing day activity went pretty much as expected for Connecticut's football program. But there's always the quarterback spot to provide confusion and mystery.

EAST HARTFORD – It simply wouldn't be Connecticut football without something strange involving the quarterback position.

Call is surprising, different, mysterious, intriguing or anything else that seems appropriate. The Huskies don't have to be in midseason form - or in spring practice for that matter. Quarterback news became the trending topic at UConn on national signing day Wednesday when Richard Lagow of Plano, Texas, did not file a signed letter of intent.

Lagow, 6-foot-6 and a three-star prospect according the Scout.com recruiting team, committed to the Huskies on June 11, 2012 and remained strong to his commitment even with other schools working hard in attempts to change his mind. His Twitter account features a header with a UConn football theme and he was active in social media exchanges with Huskies fans, other recruits and beat writers.

So it was a bit surprising when the list of signees released by UConn Wednesday afternoon didn't include Lagow. But it appears the position became a bit crowded for him and he is still discussing his future with his family.

On UConn's list were the names of 22 players who signed letters on Wednesday, plus two more recruits – Dhameer Bradley and Noel Thomas – who signed early and are already enrolled at UConn.

Among the 24 total were quarterback Tim Boyle, the Connecticut High School Coaches' Association Player of the Year, from Xavier High in Middletown. And quarterback Kivon Taylor, from Grady High School in Atlanta, Ga., was on the list too – much to the surprise of anyone who had been following UConn's recruiting effort.

It turns out UConn assistant coach Darrell Perkins had been keeping in contact with Taylor even though the Atlanta QB had not made a verbal commitment to the Huskies.

"We made the decision in the summer we were going to take two quarterbacks," UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni said. I can't make any comments on another quarterback situation [Lagow] but we wanted to sign two. Kivon is another dual-sport player, plays basketball as well. He's a tall guy. He's got excellent potential so we're excited to have two quarterbacks in this class."

The Huskies got an extremely talented quarterback prospect when Boyle officially de-committed to Boston College and gave UConn his word on Sunday. Boyle quickly became the top prospect in the Huskies' class of 2013.

But the addition of Boyle apparently led to Lagow questioning his status with the Huskies. Since the coaching staff cannot comment or even mention the name of unsigned recruits, and since Lagow was not granting interviews, it is impossible to know exactly what happened. Lagow did exchange Twitter messages with UConnPlaybook.com Wednesday night, indicating he needs more time to talk to his parents. He doesn't have any firm offers from other schools but said, "yes, confused" by the signings of Boyle and Taylor.

Asked if it was possible he would still sign with UConn, he replied, "Yes, possible."

At this point, the Huskies would enter fall camp with five quarterbacks. Junior Chandler Whitmer was the starter last season. Junior Scott McCummings has been used primarily in Wildcat formations. And Casey Cochran will be a redshirt freshman after not playing last season.

The only other player who committed to the Huskies but did not sign a letter was Orange, N.J., receiver Jamar Summers. Sources indicated Summers needs a year of prep school work and after academic issues are resolved, he could enroll at UConn as part of the 2014 class.

The latest rankings by Scout.com indicate UConn put together the No. 60 class in the nation, good for fourth in the Big East behind Rutgers (33), Cincinnati (50) and Louisville (56).

Scout.com Recommended Stories


Forums


81,956 Fans online

    Tweets