Bama's Overall Record: 18-5
Bama's SEC Record: 4-2
Last Week's Results:March 19 Alabama 3, Samford 2 (Birmingham)
March 21 Alabama 8, Florida 3 (Gainesville)
March 22 Florida 6, Alabama 1 (Gainesville)
March 23 Florida 6, Alabama 5 (Gainesville)
This Week's ScheduleWed, March 26 Alabama at UAB (7 PM)
Fri, March 28 LSU at Alabama (6:30 PM)
Sat, March 29 LSU at Alabama (4 PM)
Sun, March 30 LSU at Alabama (2 PM)
- The Gators won two out of three from Crimson Tide for the first time since 1994. Florida's 6-1 win on March 22 snapped Alabama's season-high 10-game winning streak.
- The Alabama players made their first career SEC start in Sunday's series finale, including 3B Nathan Meiners, DH Brad Van Winkle and RHP Allen Ponder.
- Alabama out-homebred the SEC's top home team this weekend, 4-1. The Crimson Tide has 32 home runs this season and trails Florida's (33 HR) league-leading total by one home run.
- The first inning has been a problem for Alabama in its six SEC games thus far. Opponents have out-scored Alabama 12-3 in the first inning. In 17 non-SEC games, Alabama has a 20-1 scoring advantage in the first frame.
- Senior center fielder Travis Garner is riding a career best 13-game hitting streak. Garner had three, seven-game hitting streaks last year as a junior. During his current 13-game hitting streak, Garner is batting .316 (24-for-76) with 17 runs, nine RBI and three doubles.
- Freshman left fielder Brandon Avalos is riding a career best six-game hitting streak, where he is batting .308 (8-for-26) with three doubles and five RBI.
- Junior shortstop Adam Pavkovich matched his career high with four hits in the series opener at Florida (4-for-5, 2 Runs).
- Al Hecklinski matched his career high three hits in the series opener with the Gators.
- Sophomore second baseman Allen Rice hit his fifth home run of the season at Florida on March 23. He did not hit a home run last year as a freshman for Alabama.
- Pavkovich hit his seventh home run of the 2003 season on Wednesday at Samford, surpassing his 61-game total last year (6 HR).
- Pavkovich (7 HR) and Rice (5 HR) have hit 12 home runs this season, compared to only six home runs last year, with all six coming from Pavkovich.
- Sophomore left-hander Brent Carter (6.1 IP, 10 H, 6 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) suffered his second loss of the 2003 season on March 22 at Florida. He allowed two runs in the first inning, marking the first time this year an opponent has scored against Carter in the first inning.
- Also, the 2-0 first inning deficit, marked the first time in 36 2/3 innings that Carter has trailed on the mound this season. The Americus, Ga., native last trailed in a loss to No. 13 Houston on Feb. 15 at the Minute Maid Park College Classic in Houston.
- Senior RHP Brian Reed (5.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) turned in the longest outing of his UA career in a loss to Florida on March 23.
- Florida scored the winning run off Reed in the eighth inning, marking the first time in 22 2/3 innings the Crimson Tide bullpen had surrendered a run, a span of five outings.
- Alabama closes out its five-game road trip Wednesday night (Mar. 26) against UAB at Young Memorial Field in Birmingham. The Crimson Tide won both meetings last year, including a 5-3 win in Bham on April 10.
- Alabama hosts its annual A-Day football game this Saturday at 1 p.m., marking the first time since 1999 the baseball team has played at home on the same day as the A-Day football game.
- The Crimson Tide hosts the LSU Tigers next weekend at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. LSU has won eight straight over Alabama and 10 of the last 11 games, dating back to 2000.
- LSU swept Alabama last year in Baton Rouge on the final weekend of the regular season, costing UA a shot at the SEC Championship.