Crimson Tide Sports Marketing, the multi-media rights' holder for the Alabama Crimson Tide, is conducting on line voting to determine the Greatest Play, the Greatest Performances and the Greatest Game in Alabama's history at Legion Field.
Fans can go to www.rolltide.com and vote each week in a different contest. The winning moment will be honored at halftime of the Golden Flake Alabama-South Florida game presented by NBC-13 and the Birmingham News and Birmingham Post-Herald, August 30, at Legion Field.
The voting for Greatest Play is August 3-9. Nominees are the Van Tiffin kick against Auburn in 1985; Ken Stabler's Run in the Mud in 1967; Antonio Langham's interception against Florida in 1992; the Cornelius Bennett sack of Steve Buerlein against Notre Dame in 1986 and the Gary Rutledge to Wayne Wheeler touchdown pass against Tennessee in 1973.
The voting for Greatest Performances is August 10-16. Nominees are Bobby Marlow's 233 yards rushing against Auburn in 1951; Johnny Musso's 221 yards rushing against Auburn in 1970; the standout defensive game against Penn State by Derrick Thomas in 1988; Scott Hunter's shootout with Archie Manning and Ole Miss in 1969; and Joe Namath's three touchdown passes against Tennessee in 1963.
The voting for Greatest Game is August 17-22. Nominees are Coach Paul Bryant's 315th victory against Auburn in 1981; the victory over Florida in the first SEC Championship game in 1992; the thrilling victory over Auburn in the 1985 Iron Bowl; the 28-10 victory over Notre Dame in 1986 and the 55-0 victory over Auburn in the 1948 resumption of the series with Auburn.
"We talked to a number of long-time observers of Crimson Tide football," said CTSM General Manager Butch Henry, "to come up with the nominations in each category. We had a number of different opinions right up to our deadline for selecting each event. I'm sure some people will think we left out their favorite Tide moment, but I believe we have a pretty good cross section from the grand history of games at Legion Field."
Fans can vote once in each category. The winning events will be revealed on NBC-13's pre-season football special, Sunday night, Aug. 23 and in the Monday morning editions of the Birmingham News, Aug. 24 and Monday afternoon's edition of the Birmingham Post-Herald.
- Alabama 28, Auburn 17, 1981 (Coach Bryant's 315th)
- Alabama 28, Florida 21, 1992 (SEC Championship)
- Alabama 25, Auburn 23, 1985 (Van Tiffin kick)
- Alabama 28, Notre Dame 10, 1986 (first victory over Notre Dame)
- Alabama 55, Auburn 0, 1948 (resumption of series)
- Van Tiffin kick vs. Auburn, 1985
- Kenny Stabler's Run in the mud vs. Auburn, 1967
- Antonio Langham interception vs. Florida, 1992
- Cornelius Bennett sack of Steve Buerlein vs. Notre Dame, 1986
- Gary Rutledge-Wayne Wheeler pass vs. Tennessee, 1973
- Bobby Marlow vs. Auburn, 1951, 233 yards rushing
- Johnny Musso vs. Auburn, 1970, 221 yards rushing
- Derrick Thomas vs. Penn State, 1988, 9 QB hurries and safety
- Scott Hunter vs. Ole Miss, 1969, shootout with Archie Manning
- Joe Namath vs. Tennessee, 1963, three touchdown passes