Offensive linemen, Number to be signed: 4
O-Linemen are easily the most cruicial position in this years recruiting class.
The past two classes have netted a total of three offensive lineman, all signed last year. In retrospect, that's a criminally low number. Past regimes did a frankly poor job of recruiting for this position, and this year the demand is for a minimum of four top prospects.
There has been a lot of speculation as to why more players have not been offered by Alabama to date. The simple truth is that with probation to worry about, the current staff feels like they have be certain. Injuries are one thing, but Alabama simply cannot afford to sign a player that isn't a good fit academically and socially. Of course the signees also must be able to play in the SEC.
Here is a look at the fast growing list of possibilities:
- Cody Brown 6-3 330 5.30 Scooba, MS - East C.C. HS
- Antoine Caldwell 6-3 265 4.92 Montgomery, AL – Lee HS
- Calvin Darity 6-3 260 5.05 Tallahassee, FL – Lincoln HS
- Cody Davis 6-7 265 5.07 Tuscaloosa, AL – Hillcrest HS
- William Davis 6-4 283 5.20 Corinth, MS – Corinth HS
- Cody Greene 6-6 300 5.30 Cullman, AL – Cullman HS
- Leon Hart 6-4 290 5.10 Columbia, SC - Spring Valley HS
- Brett Helms 6-3 300 5.20 Stuttgart, AR – Stuttgart HS
- Danny Muy 6-4 270 5.10 Tallahassee, FL – Lincoln HS
- Eric Phillips 6-5 250 4.80 Birmingham, AL – Wenonah Hs
- Ryan Sefton 6-5 280 5.40 Gulfport, MS - Harrison Central HS
- B.J. Stabler 6-5 291 5.20 Grove Hill, AL - Clarke County HS
- Jim Tartt 6-4 320 5.20 Crawfordville, FL – Wakulla HS
- John Watts 6-6 261 5.00 Russellville, AL – Russellville HS
- Josh Winchell 6-5 310 5.00 Southaven, MS – Southaven HS
Peering through the thick clouds months into the recruiting future, our September predictions are:
and ERIC PHILLIPS.
Those names could change if some big-time blue-chippers started to lean Bama's way. B.J. Stabler would be a definite "take" if he decides to choose the Tide. Calvin Darity, Leon Hart, Brett Helms, and Jim Tartt are also bona fide players that would shuffle the "take board" dramatically, if they choose Alabama.
Antoine Caldwell is being watched closely and may get an offer during his senior year.
PLEASE NOTE: In these segments we will attempt to examine this year's Tide recruiting picture position-by-position. But please keep in mind that this is only an assessment of players that our research indicates are being pursued by Alabama or that we believe will enter the picture before next February's Signing Day.
This is not presented as a photo copy of anyone's recruiting board. There undoubtedly will be names left off our lists and athletes added later.