- This is the 40th meeting between these two teams, dating back to 1947.
- The Alabama series is the fourth-longest series in Southern Miss history. The Crimson Tide and Golden Eagles are meeting for the 40th time this Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. The Golden Eagles have played only Memphis (51), Louisiana-Lafayette (47) and Louisiana Tech (42) more often.
- Southern Miss' 39 games with Alabama are the most by any school not currently in the SEC or has not been in the SEC.
- All 39 games in the series have been played in the state of Alabama.
- Alabama and USM have played every year since 1992.
- The Crimson Tide's longest series winning streak is 11 games (1957-80). UA also had a 13-game unbeaten streak from 1956-81.
- USM's longest series winning streak is two games from 1953-54.
Alabama-USM NotebookHere are notebook items and historical facts surrounding the Alabama-USM football series.
- Coach Shula is the third Alabama alum to play and coach against Southern Miss, joining Ray Perkins and Mike DuBose.
- Shula was 2-0 against the USM as the Tide's starting quarterback from 1985-86.
- USM's Jeff Bower is 4-20-1 as a player, assistant coach and head coach against Alabama.
- Bower is 2-9 (.181) as USM's head coach against the Crimson Tide.
- Bower's first game as a head coach at Southern Miss was a 37-21 loss to North Carolina State on Dec. 28, 1990 at the All-American Bowl at Birmingham's Legion Field.
- The Alabama roster contains three players from the state of Mississippi, including freshman receiver Arturo McDowell (Jackson) redshirt sophomore kicker Mike McLaughlin (Gautier), junior cornerback Thurman Ward (Starkville) and senior Cornelius Wortham (Calhoun City).
- Alabama linebacker Cornelius Wortham is the first cousin to USM running back Sherron Moore. Moore has eight carries and 47 rushing yards in two games this season for the Golden Eagles.
- Since the USM-Alabama series began in 1947 three Crimson Tide coaches made their coaching debuts against the Golden Eagles, including Red Drew (1947), Bill Curry (1987) and Gene Stallings (1990, lost to Brett Farve and USM 27-24 at Legion Field).
- USM was Alabama's last opponent ever a the Crampton Bowl in Montgomery. USM won that 1954 meeting, 7-2.
- USM was also Alabama's last opponent ever at Ladd Stadium in Mobile. The Crimson Tide posted a 63-14 win in 1969.
- The Crimson Tide and Southern Miss played to a 13-13 tie here at Bryant-Denny Stadium in 1956, one of only three ties in the stadium's history. Alabama also tied Howard (1935) and Miss. Sate (1953) here at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- Dennis Homan caught 11 passes and a school record three TD passes in Alabama's 25-3 win over Southern Miss at Ladd Stadium in 1967. Homan's 11 catches still rank third on the school's single-game receptions list, later tied by Quincy Jackson vs. BYU (1998).
- The Alabama single-game record for TD receptions is three and all three of those did it against Southern Miss, including Al Lary (1950), Homan (1967) and Michael Vaughn (1998).
- Southern Miss beat Alabama 38-29 on Nov. 13, 1982 in Paul Bryant's final game as head coach of the Crimson Tide here in Tuscaloosa. The loss also snapped UA's NCAA record 57-game home winning streak in Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- Alabama recorded its 600th all-time win with a 28-16 victory over USM on Nov. 12, 1983 at Legion Field.
- The 2001 Alabama-USM was scheduled for Sept. 15, but was postponed due to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in NY City and Washington DC.
- The game was rescheduled for Nov. 29, 2001 at Legion Field and Alabama posted a 28-15 win over USM.
- The 2001 Alabama-USM game was one of only three game since 1963 not to be played on its regularly scheduled date, joining Miami (1963) and Texas A&M (1988).
- Quarterback Andrew Zow tied coach Mike Shula's career record for most TD passes (35) in that win over USM.
- Former Alabama All-American Allison Pooley Hubert was head coach at Southern Miss (1931-36) and compiled a 26-24-5 (.518) ledger. Hubert quarterbacked the 1925 Alabama to a 2-19 win over California in the 1926 Rose Bowl and the national championship.
Series Record by SitesAll 40 games in the Alabama-Southern Miss series gave been played here in the state of Alabama.
- The Crimson Tide and Golden Eagles have played at four different sites, including Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and Mobile.
- In fact, Southern Miss is one of only two schools to play Alabama at all four of its home stadia in the modern era of football. LSU is the other.
BAMA-USM Record by Site
Legion Field (Bham) 12-2-1
Bryant-Denny Stadium (Tuscaloosa) 14-1-1
Crampton Bowl (Montgomery) 1-2
Ladd Stadium (Mobile) 4-0
2002: Alabama 20, Southern Miss 7Alabama defeated Southern Miss 20-7 on Sept. 21, 2002 here in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Here are some notes from that game.
- The Crimson Tide defense pitched a shutout and allowed the Golden Eagles only 145 total yards.
- USM managed only 35 rushing yards on 26 attempts and completed just eight of 27 passes for 110 yards in the loss.
- The Golden Eagles lone touchdown came with 27 seconds left in the third quarter when Michael Boley returned a Brodie Croyle interception 54 yards for a TD.
- Alabama dominated the line of scrimmage, rushing 64 times for 351 yards in the win over USM.
- Shaud Williams ran 21 times for 135 yards in the win for Alabama.
- Alabama lost starting quarterback Tyler Watts (mild foot sprain) and tailback Ahmaad Galloway (season-ending knee injury) in last year's game with USM.
- Croyle came off the bench early in the first quarter and threw for just 21 yards (5-for-17, 2 interceptions).
- The Alabama defense turned in a stellar performance recording four sacks, eight TFLs and forcing five turnovers in the win.
- The Bama stop troops forced seven fumbles and recovered four while adding one interception.
The Stat: 100 yards rushingIn the last four wins over Southern Miss, Alabama has had at least one back with 100 rushing yards.
- Shaud Williams ran 21 times for 135 yards in last year's 20-7 win over the Golden Eagles.
- The only time in the last five years Alabama did not have a 100-yard rusher against Southern Miss was a 21-0 loss to the Golden Eagles at Legion Field in 2000.
- On the flip side, Southern Miss has not had 100 rushing yards against Alabama since a 24-20 loss to the Crimson Tide on Sept. 9, 1995 at Legion Field.
- The Golden Eagles have rushed for 100 or more yards only twice against Alabama since 1992.
- USM has only two rushing touchdowns against Alabama in that same time span.
BAMA's Last Four 100-yard Games vs. USM
1998 Shaun Alexander 36-141-0
1999 Shaun Bohanon 28-104-2
2001 Ahmaad Galloway 24-126-2
2002 Shaud Williams 21-135-0