Pickens, who has won an individual NCAA Championship, nine All-American honors and handfuls of conference awards during the first three years of her career, was named one of five honorable mentions in GLAMOUR Magazine's Top Ten College Women competition.
"Andreé is a phenomenal young woman and it is wonderful to see her honored in this way," head coach Sarah Patterson said. "The young women chosen by GLAMOUR are leading truly awesome lives. Andreé was one of only two athletes among the 15 honorees, and while her athletic accomplishments are impressive, I think she was chosen as much for her positive impact in the community as anything else."
Pickens, a native of Houston, Texas, was picked from among the more than 600 applicants. The final 10 and the five honorable mention honorees are listed in the October 2001 issue of Glamour, which is on newsstands now.
In addition to winning the NCAA Balance Beam Championship as a freshman, Pickens has twice been named Southeastern Conference Gymnast of the Year and three times been named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year.
The senior Biology major is also formidable in the classroom, having earned Academic All-SEC honors for the past two seasons. She has been inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa, Phi Sigma Pi and Gamma Beta Phi honor societies.
She serves as president of Alabama's Student Athlete Advisory Board and the Crimson Tide's representative to the SEC's advisory board. This past summer she represented Alabama at the NCAA Foundation Leadership Conference.
In addition to her work in the gym and the classroom, Pickens works extensively in the community. She has volunteered at the Special Olympics and the Birmingham-Jefferson County United Way Campaign Kickoff. She spoke to over 10,000 area students at the Bama School Jam. She also volunteers at the DCH Regional Hospital's pediatric unit.
Pickens and her Crimson Tide teammates are already training for the 2002 season that will get underway January 11 in Gainesville, Fla. at the Super Six Challenge. Pickens is the defending Super Six Challenge All-Around champion.
GLAMOUR Magazines Top Ten College Women
- Roberta Capp, University of Colorado, Orlando, Fla.
- Jennifer Carrier, University of Minnesota, Presho, South Dakato
- Janese Jackson, Hood College (Md.), Clinton, Maryland
- Lilly Bee Pierce, Princeton University, Fallbrook, California
- Erica Watson, U.S. Military Academy, McHenry, Illinois
- Jessica Collier, Loyola University, Palm Harbor, Fla.
- Tami Bui, University of California-Irvin, Santa Ana, Calif.
- Richa Gulati, University of Texas, Dallas, Texas
- Shazia Siddiqi, University of California-Berkeley, Moreno Valley, Calif.
- Andrea Goldberg, Yale University, Albuquerque, New Mexico
GLAMOUR Magazines Top Ten College Women - Honorable Mention
- Andreé Pickens, University of Alabama, Houston, Texas
- Aisha D. Gayle, Yale University, Washington, N.J.
- Jennie Frenklakh, Boston University, Monterery, Calif.
- Yang "Kelly" Yang, University of California-Berkeley, San Gabriel, Calif.
- Ashwini Sagar, Stanford University, Tempe, Ariz.