Quick Game Notes
- The original midweek opener against Centenary (Feb. 25) was rescheduled for May 12 due to heavy rain.
- The UAB game marks the return of "Buck Night" and "Future All-American Night" to the Joe. All reserved bleacher seats are just one dollar for all Tuesday and Wednesday game throughout the 2004 season.
- In addition, all youngsters will be allowed to run onto the field with the Crimson Tide for the national anthem.
- The Crimson Tide enters Wednesday night's game riding a six-game winning streak. Alabama is also riding a seven-game home winning streak.
- The Crimson Tide has won three straight against the Blazers, including the last two here at the Joe by a combined 20-2 score.
On the MoundUA - Brandon Belcher (LH, 1 GS, 0-1, 2.89 ERA) vs.
UAB - Adam Price (RH, 2 GS, 2-0, 0.00 ERA)
RankingsAlabama is ranked 31st this week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer's poll. Bama is also on the verge of joining the USA Today Sports Weekly Coaches Poll. The was 27th in this week's poll.
The RecordsAlabama (8-2) is has won six straight games after sweeping Cincinnati and SE Louisiana the past two weekends. UAB (7-1) saw its season0opening seven-game winning streak end with Sunday's home loss to Marshall.
The CoachesAlabama's Jim Wells is in his 10th season with the Crimson Tide program. He has compiled a 417-178 (.701) record at the helm of the Crimson Tide. Overall, Wells is 609-267 (.695) in 15 seasons at Northwestern State and Alabama. Wells is 11-5 (.688) in his career against the Blazers.
UAB head coach Larry Giangrosso has compiled a 677-417-1 (.618) career record at Central Alabama CC and UAB. In six years with the Blazers, "Gino" is 103-129 (.444). He is 2-6 (.250) against Alabama.
The SeriesAlabama leads the all-time series, 31-12. The Tide has won the last three meetings with the Blazers, including a two-game winning streak at the Joe by a combined 20-2 score. Overall, Alabama 18-4 (.818) against UAB here in Tuscaloosa.
Next GameAlabama will spend its first weekend of the season away from home as its plays in the Centenary Gent Classic in Shreveport, La. The Crimson Tide will face Louisiana Tech (Mar. 5), Centenary (Mar. 6) and Kansas State (Mar. 7) in the three-day, round-robin tournament.
Bama Hitting Notes
- Alabama ranks 11th in the SEC this week with a .297 (99-for-333) batting average...
- The Crimson Tide has 68 strikeouts in 10 games, which the fourth-highest total in the league...
- Alabama has outscored the opposition 36-7 in the first four innings this season...
- Alabama pinch-hitters are 0-for-8 (.000) this year...
- Bama scored a season-high 13 runs in its 13-3 win over SE Louisiana (Feb.27)...
- Alabama also matched its season high with 12 RBI in the win over the Lions...
- UA also had 12 RBI against New Orleans (Feb. 16) and Cincinnati (Feb. 21)...
- The Crimson Tide has hit only one home run in its last four games...
- Bama hit a season-high five home runs in a 12-0 win over Cincinnati on Feb 21, 2004...
- The five home runs were the most by Alabama since hitting five home runs against Ole Miss on April 24, 2000...
- Seven of Alabama's nine home runs this season have been solo home runs...
- All nine home runs have come with one out or less this year...
- The Crimson Tide is batting .330 (65-for-197) during its six-game winning streak and is averaging 8.0 runs and 10.8 hits per game...
- Allen Rice (12-for-25, .400, 4 RBI) and Zac Welch (8-for-18, .444, HR, 5 RBI) are a combined 20-for-43 (.465) in those six games with one home run and nine RBI...
Bama Pitching NotesAlabama ranks among the SEC leaders in a number of pitching categories.
- The Tide ranks second in opponents batting average (.206)
- Bama is tied for second in fewest hit batters (4)
- Bama is tied for third in saves (3)
- Bama is tied for fifth in ERA (2.53)
- The Tide has 81 strikeouts 81 through 10 games
- Alabama has allowed only 11 runs (1.83 per game) in the last six games
- The Crimson Tide has yielded only eight runs (1.6 runs per game) in the last five games
- The Crimson Tide walked only two batters in the SE Louisiana series (Feb. 27-29)
- The Crimson Tide has not allowed an unearned run in the last seven games
- Alabama has not allowed a triple this season
- The Tide has allowed only one home run in the last six games
- Alabama relief pitchers have stranded 10 of its last 11 inherited runners over the last four games
- Bama stranded all six inherited runners in a 3-2 win over Cincinnati (Feb. 22)
- The Crimson Tide bullpen threw 11 1/3 scoreless innings in the SE Louisiana (Feb. 27-29) series and allowed only five hits and struck out eight batters
- During the six-game winning streak, the Tide staff is 6-0 with 1.83 ERA (54 IP, 42 H, 11 ER, 12 BB, 42 K)
- Senior RHP Seth Johnson (6 G, 12.2 IP) has not allowed an earned run or a walk this season
Scouting Report: UABThe Blazers bring a 7-1 record to Tuscaloosa on Wednesday night after suffering their first loss of the season on Sunday against Marshall.
- UAB is 6-1 this season at Young Memorial Field in Birmingham. On the road, the Blazers are 1-0 after an opening day shutout win at Alabama State on Feb. 17.
- On offense, the Blazers are batting .283 (84-for-297) through eight games with eight home runs and 52 RBI. UAB averages 7.25 runs and 10.5 hits per game this season.
- Senior catcher Eugene Rodriguez is the leading hitter for UAB. In six games, Rodriguez is batting .350 (9-for-20) with three doubles and three RBI.
- Junior Nathan McCorkle is the team's second-leading hitter in eight games this year. A transfer from Lipscomb, McCorkle is batting .346 (9-for-26) with a team-high eight runs scored, one home run and five RBI.
- Six different Blazers have homered this season, including two home runs each from senior outfielder Sam Clark (.286, 2 HR, 8 RBI) and senior infielder Daniel Hill (.250, 2 HR, 5 RBI). Hill also leads the Blazers with two triples.
- The leading run-producer is junior transfer Cole Helms (.314, HR, 10 RBI), who played last season at Tennessee Tech.
- The UAB pitching staff appears to be improved form last year. The Blazers have posted a 3.79 ERA (79 IP, 65 H, 37 R, 34 ER, 35 BB, 71 K) in eight games this season. They are allowing less than one hit per inning pitched and boast a two-to-one strikeout-to-walk ratio on the young season.
- Junior right-hander Adam Price (2 GS, 2-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to start Wednesday against Alabama. Price played on the same high school team as Alabama's Ryan Beagle and pitched at Shelton State the last two years.
- In two starts this season, Price has worked 11 innings and allowed seven hits, two unearned runs, two walks and nine strikeouts.
- Junior left-hander Jacob Legg, who pitched last year here at Alabama, has been the main force out of the pen this season. Legg has a 2-0 record and 1.86 ERA in four appearances this season. Junior Eric Roberts (4 G, 1-0, 1 save, 1.50 ERA), a transfer from Georgia, has the only save this season for UAB.