Bama's Overall Record: 14-4 (.778)
Bama's Record Last Week: 4-0 (1.000)
Last Week's ResultsMar. 10 Alabama 9, Southern Miss 3
Mar. 12 Alabama 10, SE Missouri State 1
Mar. 13 Alabama 2, SE Missouri State 0
Mar. 14 Alabama 20, SE Missouri State 0
This Week's ScheduleMar. 17 at Birmingham Southern (6:30 PM)
Mar. 19 at Georgia (7:06 PM, ET) (CSS)
Mar. 20 at Georgia (4 PM, ET)
Mar. 21 at Georgia (1:06 PM, ET) (CSS)
Player of the Week Nominee: Michael McCallisterRF (Fr., Green Cove Springs, Fla.)
4 G, .538 (7-for-13), 5 R, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 3 BB, 2-2 SB
- Riding a four-game hitting streak for Alabama and has hit safely in five of his last six games
- In three-game series with SE Missouri State, McCallister batted .667 (6-for-9) with five runs scored, two doubles, two RBI, three walks and two stolen bases
- McCallister was responsible for the winning run in all three games with SEMO, collecting his first career game-winning RBI in the series opener (Mar. 12) and scoring the winning run in the final two games (Mar. 13-14) games of the series.
- Reached base seven straight times over his last two games, collecting four hits and three walks
- Alabama's leading hitter in the last six games, batting .474 (9-for-19) with nine runs scored, four doubles, four RBI and five walks
- McCallister has raised his season batting average 135 points over those six games
- For the season, McCallister is batting .283 (13-for-46) with 11 runs scored, five doubles, five RBI and six walks
SEC Pitcher of the Week: Brandon BelcherLHP (Fr., Ruston, La.)
2 GS, 1 GS, 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 12.1 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 12 K
After posting two wins on the mound last week, including a win over No. 18 Southern Mississippi on March 10, University of Alabama freshman left-hander Brandon Belcher has been named the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Week, in an announcement by the league office on Monday afternoon.
Belcher recorded his first career win on March 10 as he tossed 5 1/3 scoreless innings in the Crimson Tide's 9-3 win over No. 18 Southern Miss.
The Ruston, La., native held the hot-hitting Golden Eagles to just five hits and snapped their season-high eight-game winning streak in the process. He added three walks and fanned four in the win.
Then, four days later, he tossed seven shutout innings as the Crimson Tide rolled to a 20-0 win over Southeast Missouri State to complete a three-game weekend sweep at the Joe.
Belcher limited the Indians to just five hits (one double) and added a season-high eight strikeouts en route to his second win of the week.
Belcher teamed with junior left-hander Taylor Tankersley in the series finale to give Alabama its first back-to-back shutouts since Tommy Milstead and Mark Roberts hurled consecutive shutouts at Ole Miss in 1991.
Belcher's seven shutout innings vs. SEMO are a part of the Tide's current streak of 20 consecutive scoreless innings on the mound.
Bama Hitting Notes
- As a team, Alabama is batting .289 (172-for-596) with 16 home runs and 117 RBI.
- The Crimson Tide is averaging 7.1 runs and 9.6 hits per game this year.
- Alabama scored a season-high 20 runs Sunday's win over SE Missouri State (Mar. 14)
- The Crimson Tide matched its season high with 17 hits in the series finale with SEMO. Alabama also had 17 hits in its 12-0 win over Cincinnati on Feb. 21.
- Alabama scored a season-high 10 runs in the fifth inning of its 20-0 win over SE Missouri (Mar. 14)
- Alabama also scored nine runs in the sixth inning of its 10-1 win over SEMO (Mar. 12)
Tide Pitching Notes
- As a team, Alabama is 14-4 on the mound this season with a sparkling 2.16 ERA. Alabama has two complete games and four shutouts this year, including the final two games of the SE Missouri State series.
- The Crimson Tide has worked 160 innings this season and allowed 115 hits, 44 runs, 39 earned runs, 42 walks and 147 strikeouts.
- Alabama posted back-to-back shutouts in the final two games of the SEMO series, marking the first time since 1991 that UA has posted consecutive shutouts. In 1991, Tommy Milstead (9 IP) and Mark Roberts (7 IP) tossed back-to-back shutouts at Ole Miss.
- Bama enters the week with 20 consecutive scoreless innings dating back to the eighth inning of the series opener against SE Missouri State.
- UA starters turned in stellar performances this weekend against SE Missouri State. The trio of Brent Carter (7-1-0-0-2-7), Wade LeBlanc (9-5-0-0-2-10) and Brandon Belcher (7-5-0-0-0-0-8) combined for 23 scoreless innings this weekend and allowed only 11 hits, four walks and 25 strikeouts.
- For the season, UA starters are 10-2 with a 2.10 ERA in 18 games; the starters have worked 102.2 innings and allowed 74 hits, 26 runs, 24 earned runs, 22 walks and 88 strikeouts. Opponents are batting just .198 (74-for-373) against Bama starters.
- The UA bullpen is 4-2 with four saves and a 2.35 ERA this season. The pen has worked 57.1 innings and allowed 41 hits, 18 runs, 15 earned runs, 20 walks and 59 strikeouts.
- The bullpen worked only two innings in the SE Missouri State series.
- Alabama has allowed just one run in its last 34 2/3 (0.26 ERA) innings on the mound.
- In the three-game series with SEMO, Alabama allowed just one run and 13 hits in 27 innings
- The Crimson Tide has allowed three earned runs or less in 15 of 18 games this season, including the last six in a row.
Tide Fielding Notes
- The Crimson Tide is a much improved defensive team this season. Through 18 games, Alabama has made only 17 errors for a .976 fielding clip.
- Alabama has made only two errors in its last 49 innings, including a stretch of 30 1/3 innings without an error from Mar. 10-14
- Bama has played seven errorless games this season and has made one error or less in 13 of 18 games.
- Alabama is 13-1 at home this season, including a 12-game winning streak. Bama has not lost at the Joe since dropping a 2-1 decision to New Orleans on Feb. 14. During the 12-game winning streak, Bama is batting .324 (131-for-404) with 13 HRs and 98 RBI. The Tide is averaging 8.8 runs and 12.9 hits. Alabama has outscored the opposition 106-29 during the 12-game winning streak. On the mound, the Tide is 12-0 with a 2.09 ERA, with 100 strikeouts in 108 innings.
- The Crimson Tide is riding a four-game winning streak, its second-longest of the year. During the four-game winning streak, Bama has outscored the opposition 41-4.
- Alabama outscored SE Missouri State 32-1 in three-game series.
- The Crimson Tide is batting .306 (41-for-134) during it four-game winning streak with six HRs and 37 RBI. Ua is averaging 10.3 runs and 10.3 hits per game over its last four games. On the mound, UA is 4-0 with a 0.75 ERA and one CG in the last four games. The staff has worked 36 innings and allowed 19 hits, four runs, three earned runs, 10 walks and 39 strikeouts.
- Coach Jim Wells coached his 600th game at Alabama on March 10 as the Tide beat Southern Miss 9-3.
- Alabama has hit 16 home runs this season in 18 games. The 16 home runs have come from nine different players. The Tide has homered in three of its last four games. Sophomore Evan Bush leads the club with four home runs in 17 games. He did not hit a home run in 48 games last year.
- Alabama travels to Birmingham Southern on March 17 its first game on the BSC campus in 24 years.
- UA swept the three-game series against Georgia last year in Tuscaloosa, but has lost five of its last six games at Foley Field; including the first ever sweep by a Wells-coached Alabama team in 2000.
- Alabama is 42-26 (.000) in SEC openers since 1933. The Crimson Tide has won six of its last seven SEC openers. Coach Wells is 7-2 (.778) in SEC openers, including a 2-1 mark against Georgia.