Mandy Burford got Alabama going immediately following a Deasy Phillips single with her first collegiate home run, a towering blast that cleared the scoreboard staking the Tide to a 2-0 lead. Capper Reed reached on a one-out hit-by-pitch and came in to score on a Staci Ramsey blast to left centerfield, her fourth of the season, for a 4-0 Crimson Tide lead. Emily Currie tripled and came in to score when Ashley Courtney hit a high fly ball to deep right field that was dropped pushing the lead to 5-0.
Alabama put two more runs on the board in the third inning taking advantage of two hits and an Alabama State error extending its lead to 7-0 and put the finishing touches on the victory in the bottom of the fourth inning with three more runs. Jackie McClain highlighted the inning with a solo home run to right field, her 250th career hit and her fourth home run of the season, tying Ramsey for team high honors this season.
Jennifer Wright (7-0) collected her seventh win of the season allowing only two hits while striking out seven batters in five innings of work. It was her fourth shutout of the season and the eighth of her career. Her first strikeout in third inning was her fourth of the game, but more importantly the 200th of her career.
Burford finished the game going 2-3 with two RBI and a run scored while Ramsey and Courtney finished with a hit and two RBI each.
Alabama will return to SEC play this weekend following a two-game break from conference action, when the team travels to Lexington, Kentucky for a three-game series.
- Mandy Burford hit first career home run.
- Ashley Courtney records first two sacrifice fly game in stadium history, the second time in school history (Askew, 1999)
- Erin Wright recorded her first plate appearance since Apr. 21, 2002 against MSU.
- Alabama wins first ever meeting with Alabama State.
- Alabama is on a 16-game winning streak, second longest in school history.
- Jennifer Wright records 200th career strikeout.
- Jackie McClain records 250th career hit.
- Staci Ramsey records 50th career RBI.