Permanent captains for the 2001 season are Jarret Johnson (DT, Chiefland, Fla..), Terry Jones, Jr. (TE, Tuscaloosa), Saleem Rasheed (LB, Birmingham), Tyler Watts (QB, Pelham) and Andrew Zow (QB, Lake Butler, Fla.).
This group was selected from the Crimson Tide's leadership council and voted on by the Crimson Tide players.
The five permanent captains will take their place in Alabama football history this spring prior to the A-Day game (April, 2002). Their hands and footprints will be cemented alongside all the former Crimson Tide permanent captains since 1948 at the base of Denny Chimes, located across from the UA President's Mansion on the UA quadrangle.
Johnson, Rasheed and Watts will become the first juniors in the history of Alabama football to have their hands and footprints cemented at Denny Chimes. All of the previous permanent captains from 1948-2000 have been seniors.
There were no permanent captains named in 1944-46 as game captains were recognized for those three seasons.
Including 2001, there have been 13 underclassmen elected permanent captain for the Crimson Tide football team. No underclassman has been chosen since 1924.
Watts, Rasheed and Johnson will all have an opportunity to be named permanent captains again next year, marking the first time since the 1920s an Alabama player has been named permanent captain more than once in his career.
The list of athletes selected permanent captains as underclassmen includes:
- 1892 -- W. G. Little (Junior)
- 1893 -- William Walker (Junior)
- 1894 -- S.B. Slone (Sophomore)
- 1897 -- Frank S. White, Jr. (Sophomore)
- 1900 -- W. E. Drennen (Junior)
- 1903 -- W. S. Wyatt (Junior)
- 1918 -- Dan Boone (Junior)
- 1922 -- Ernest Cooper (Junior)
- 1921 -- Al Clemens (Sophomore)
- 1924 -- Pooley Hubert (Junior)
- 2001 -- Jarret Johnson (Junior), Saleem Rasheed (Junior), Tyler Watts (Junior)