Franchione's TCU coaching debut took place in Ames, Iowa on Sept. 5, 1998. He led the Horned Frogs to a 31-21 win over the Cyclones marking a successful debut.
Alabama series history with Big 12 ConferenceAlabama has compiled an 8-12-2 (.409) all-time record against the teams from the Big 12 Conference. The last time Alabama squared off with a Big 12 Conference team was the 1991 Blockbuster Bowl as the Crimson Tide beat Colorado, 33-25.
Alabama has not played a Big 12 conference team during the regular season since 1988 when the Crimson Tide beat Texas A&M (30-10) in College Station, Texas. Next year, Alabama will play its second game of the 2002 regular-season (Sept. 7) against the Oklahoma Sooners in Norman. The Sooners return the game to Tuscaloosa in 2003.
Big 12 Opponents & Series Record
- Baylor, UA leads, 2-0
- Colorado Series Tied, 1-1
- Missouri, UM leads, 2-1
- Nebraska, UA leads, 3-2
- Oklahoma, UA leads, 1-0-1
- Texas, UT leads, 7-0-1
Alabama has never faced Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech in football.
Alabama has compiled a 6-5-2 (.538) all-time bowl record against the current members of the Big 12 conference.
- 1942 *UA 29, Texas A&M 21 (Cotton)
- 1948 Texas 27, UA 7 (Sugar)
- 1960 UA 3, Texas 3 (Bluebonnet)
- 1963 UA 17, Oklahoma 0 (Orange)
- 1965 Texas 21, UA 17 (Orange)
- 1966 *UA 39, Nebraska 28 (Sugar)
- 1967 UA 34, Nebraska 7 (Orange)
- 1968 Texas A&M 20, UA 16 (Cotton)
- 1969 Missouri 35, UA 10 (Gator)
- 1970 UA 24, Okla. 24 (Bluebonnet)
- 1972 *Nebraska 38, UA 6 (Orange)
- 1981 UA 30, Baylor 2 (Cotton)
- 1982 Texas 14, UA 12 (Cotton)
- 1991 UA 30, Colorado 25 (B'buster)
Of the 22 meetings with members of the Big 12 Conference, 13 have come in post-season bowl games. From 1965-72, Alabama played seven straight bowl games against teams from the Big 8 and Southwest Conference, consisting of all current Big 12 member institutions.
About Iowa State
Iowa State brings a 7-4 record into the 2001 Mainstay Independence Bowl, including back-to-back wins over Kansas and arch-rival Iowa to close the regular-season. The Cyclones are led on offense by senior tailback Ennis Haywood and junior quarterback Seneca Wallace.
Haywood concluded the 2001 season as the Big 12s third leading rusher, averaging 106.3 yards per game. He also ranked 24th nationally. Haywood had 258 rushing attempts for 1,169 yards and 14 TDs this season. He led the league in rushing attempts, ranked third in rushing yards and fifth in TDs. He was a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award, presented annually to the nation's best running back.
In addition, he became the seventh back in ISU history to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. The Cyclones are 12-0 when Haywood rushes for 100 yards in a game.
Wallace, a junior college transfer, was the Kansas City StarTelegram's Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year. Wallace completed 167 of 269 passes for 2,044 yards and 11 TDs. He completed 62.1 percent of his passes. He also added 475 rushing yards (114 attempts) and seven TDs.
Lane Danielsen was Wallace's favorite target this season, catching 49 passes for 694 yards and four TDs. Craig Campbell caught 31 passes for 486 yards and two TDs. ISU was sixth in the league in total offense, averaging 384.6 yards per game.
The Cyclones led the Big 12 Conference in turnover margin with +12 (+1.09 per game) this season. ISU tied Minnesota (Big 10) for first place nationally, with the fewest fumbles lost (2) this season.
On defense, ISU ranked sixth in the Big 12, allowing 346.6 yards per game. Junior middle linebacker Matt Word paces the ISU defense with 108 total tackles (77 solos), 11 TFLs (-49), three sacks (- 32), one interception (36 yards) and two pass deflections. Senior weak linebacker Justin Eilers was second on the team with 93 tackles, including four TFLs (-10).
Freshman punter Tony Yelk was third in the league and 16th nationally with a 43.8 yard average.
Iowa State notes
- Iowa State has an all-time record of 449-520-46 (.465).
- Iowa State has won 12 consecutive non-conference games.
- ISU has a 16-5 (.762) record in the last two seasons, including their first ever bowl win last year against Pittsburgh.
- The Cyclones have posted their first back-to-back winning seasons since 1977-78.
- Iowa State has played one game in the state of Alabama, losing to Texas A&M in the 1978 All-American Bowl at Birmingham's Legion Field. Texas A&M won the game, 28-12.
- Last year's bowl game against Pittsburgh was the Cyclones first since that trip to Birmingham in 1978.
- QB Seneca Wallace completed a Big 12 record 19 straight passes against Baylor on Sept. 29.
- In that win over Baylor, Wallace also set a Big 12 record, completing 22-of-24 passes for a completion percentage of .917.
- Wallace was fourth in the league in passing efficiency behind Colorado's Bobby Pasavento, Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury and Texas' Chris Simms.
- Wallace was second in the Big 12 in total offense, averaging 229 yards (475 rush, 2,044 pass) yards per game.
- Haywood also ranked third in the Big 12 in all-purpose yards, averaging 118.8 yards per game. In addition to his 1,169 rushing yards, Haywood added 20 receptions for 138 yards.
- The list of former coaches at Iowa State includes Glenn "Pop" Warner (1895-99), Johnny Majors (1968-72) and Earl Bruce (1973-78).