The game will begin at 7 p.m. Alabama (21-3, 5-1 SEC) has equalled its best start in school history after 24 games, tying the 1983 and 1997 squads.
- Both the 1983 and 1997 teams played in the national championship game at the College World Series.
- The game with Oklahoma marks the first-ever baseball game for the Crimson Tide in the state of Oklahoma. In fact, Alabama has only played five games in school history against Oklahoma schools, posting a 5-0 record against Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.
- The Crimson Tide swept a three-game series from the Sooners last year in Tuscaloosa (Feb. 9-11) and has beaten OSU twice at the College World Series (1996 and 1999).
- Coach Wells first CWS victory was a 7-5 come-from-behind win over Gary Ward's Cowboys in 1996.
- Alabama is in the midst of a seven-game, 11-day road trip that will conclude this weekend at South Carolina.
- The Crimson Tide is off to a good start, winning two of three from Arkansas this past weekend in Fayetteville.
- Oklahoma (16-7, 4-2 Big 12) had a rough weekend in College Station,Texas, losing two out of three to the Aggies.
- The Sooners have won nine of their last 12 games, including a seven-game winning streak from March 8-15. During the stretch, OU has beaten Arkansas, Arizona State (twice) and Texas A&M. The Sooners are Alabama's first Top 25 opponent this season.
Alabama's probable starting lineup:
- # 24 Scott McClanahan, CF .318, 1 HR, 21 RBI
- # 10 Carlos Sosa, 3B .267, 1 HR, 13 RBI Hitless in his last 21 at-bats
- # 1 Peter Stonard, RF .435, 3 HR, 12 RBI
- # 14 Jeremy Brown, C .308, 7 HR, 24 RBI
- #5 5 Beau Hearod, DH .356, 4 HR, 25 RBI
- # 6 Brent Boyd, 2B .273, 1 HR, 18 RBI
- # 11 Travis Garner, LF .297, 1 HR, 7 RBI
- # 13 Spencer Pennington, 1B .194, 0 HR, 2 RBI
- # 4 Adam Pavkovich, SS .280, 2 HR, 10 RBI
Probable starting pitchers:Bama: #39 Brent Carter, LH 5 G, 1-0, 1.56 Beat UNA (Feb. 26) in only other career start
Oklahoma: #00 Austin Mix, RH 7 G, 4-1, 2.38 Pitched 3 IP at Texas A&M on Sat., Mar. 23
Coach Jim Wells says:
"In the midst of a long road trip, we have a tough game ahead of us with Oklahoma. This is the longest road trip we have had (7 games, 11 days) and all game against quality teams. All the games are important and even though Oklahoma is not in our conference, it is a meaningful game for us. It will help us in the RPI because they are a very good team.
"Oklahoma called and wanted to play three games at our place and only wanted us to return one game, so that is how this series took place. We can both benefit by playing a quality non-conference opponent in a big-league type ballpark with a NCAA Regional atmosphere. It should be a good game for both teams.
"Oklahoma is a good team. I remember them from last year and how close all three games were at home. This game will help us and test us."