Alabama officials recognized the demand, and quickly set out to plan a Fantasy Weekend targeted at the men. Intended to be a confidential, inside look at Alabama football, participants will experience season and game preparation from the perspective of Tide Head Coach Dennis Franchione and his staff.
The $1,000 cost is admittedly steep--especially when seen from a student's point of view--but Tide officials are frankly counting on a fan base famous for its fanatical support to come through. Butch Henry, director of Crimson Tide Sports Marketing, said in announcing this special event, "The tremendous response from Football 101 sparked the interest in something exclusively for men. We are confident that, like the clinic for women, this fantasy weekend will provide an abundance of interesting and informative experiences."
Henry said that similar programs have been well-received at other schools, and the initial response from people who heard about this event before this formal announcement was enthusiastic. However, he went on to point out that the size of the group is limited. Fans looking to guarantee their spot for the weekend are urged to sign up immediately.
Led by Coach Fran and the members of his coaching staff, the weekend features one-on-one interaction with the personalities that guide Crimson Tide football. Weekend features include:
- A weekend of football with Coach Fran and the Alabama Football Staff. Get to know them on a personal basis.
- Detailed clinics to learn the terminology, plays, formations, and drills that have allowed Coach Fran, his staff, and football team to build a solid foundation to continue and enhance the great Alabama tradition.
- Lectures on the Alabama Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Strength Program, Recruiting and other features.
- Social hour upon arrival, all meals and beverages (buffet), hotel accommodations, all clinic sessions that include video and handouts on philosophy, scheme, skills, and drills.
- In-depth scouting report on the upcoming season.
- Individual photograph of you with the Alabama staff.
- An opportunity to run through the tunnel as you are projected onto the Jumbotron at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- Special gifts such as Kick-Off Fantasy Weekend playbook, jersey, personal travel bag, shirts, shorts, clinic video, and other goodies.
- Special guest speaker who will forecast the College Football 2002 season.
Space will be limited, primarily to ensure that each participant can spend time with the coaching staff.
Registration starts on Friday (July 26th) afternoon at 3:30, with the first event being a social hour (6-6:45) so the participants can meet and get to know the coaching staff. Friday evening's main learning session will involve the Tide defense. Saturday morning the focus will shift to the offense and special teams. Before lunch the group will head to Bryant-Denny Stadium, where each participant will have his name announced over the PA system and get to run from the tunnel onto the field to the strands of "Yea, Alabama!" Afternoon topics include recruiting, the Tide strength program and a special predictions/preview session on the upcoming 2002 season.
Coach Franchione will close out the session.
Franchione and the members of his staff are frankly excited about the event. The schedule will be jam-packed for the entire weekend, with plenty of activities to keep everyone busy. However, Defensive Coordinator Carl Torbush wanted to make sure fans understood that activities will not be strenuous. Old, middle-aged or young; in shape or out--the weekend is designed for you.
Fans interested should contact Jennifer Vines at 205-752-7281 Ext. 6, Ext. 7. Registration information is also available online.
Funds raised will benefit the Tuscaloosa County Alumni Association Scholarship Fund.
And the ladies shouldn't forget that Football 101 will return for its second year. The highly acclaimed gridiron class for women. Football 101, featuring Coach Dennis Franchione and the University of Alabama football staff, will be on Sunday, July 28 at the Bryant Denny Conference Center.