Beard Named SEC Player of the WeekJunior tailback Santonio Beard was one of many offensive stars for the Crimson Tide in the recent win over Ole Miss. Beard ran the ball 13 times for 138 yards and 5 TDs against the Rebels. He averaged 10.6 yards per carry. The Nashville, Tenn., tied the Alabama single-game record with five rushing touchdowns. He shares the record with former Alabama All-American Shaun Alexander, who had five rushing TDs in a 38-31 win over BYU on Sept. 4, 1998 here at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- In 1920, Alabama had a running back named Mulley Lenoir who scored five TDs in one game. He also scored four in another and had 26 for the year. That was the first Alabama team ever to win 10 games in a season.
- The last Alabama player to win SEC Player of the Week honors was Andrew Zow (Nov. 17), following his performance in the Crimson Tide's 31-7 win at Auburn last season.
- In addition, Beard is one of three UA players to account for five touchdowns in one game, joining Alexander (vs. BYU, 1998) and Gary Hollingsworth.
- Hollingsworth threw five TD passes in Alabama's 62-27 win over Ole Miss on Oct. 7, 1989 in Jackson. In that game, Alabama trailed 21-0 less than six minutes into the game and scored 41 second quarter points to build a 48-21 halftime lead en route to a 62-27 win at Mississippi Memorial Stadium.
- Beard also posted his fourth career 100-yardrushing game against Ole Miss, including his second 100-yard game this season. Alabama is 3-1 when Beard rushes for 100 or more yards in a single-game. Beard had 134 rushing yards in the Crimson Tide's 30-12 win at Arkansas on Sept. 28, 2002.
- Beard scored the first two times he touched the ball against Ole Miss, scoring on first quarter runs of 25 and 35 yards to give the Tide a 14-0 lead. He scored his third rushing TD (9 yard run) with 10:19 left in the third quarter as UA took a 28-7 lead. On the first play of the fourth quarter, Beard added his fourth rushing TD, scoring on a two-yard run with 14:56 left in the game. He capped the scoring with his school-record tying fifth rushing TD, scoring a 10-yard run with 3:50 left in the game to give the Tide its 42-7 lead.
- Following his two-yard TD run in the third quarter, Beard's three TD runs (25, 35, 9) netted six more rushing yards (69) than Ole Miss had total offense (63 yards) with 10 minutes left in the third quarter.
- In addition, Beard became the 44th player in Alabama history to rush for 1,000 yards in his career. In 26 career games, Beard has 158 rushing attempts for 1,068 yards and 11 TDs. Beard is 39th on the Crimson Tide's all-time rushing list following his 138-yard performance.
- Beard entered the Ole Miss game with only two rushing touchdowns and none in SEC play. He now leads Alabama with seven rushing TDs, including five in league play.
- Beard also entered the Ole Miss game with only six career rushing TDs and nearly matched that total in one game, scoring five against the Rebels. He now has 11 rushing TDs in his Alabama career.
- The Alabama junior also received a congratulatory phone call Saturday night from former Tide All-American Shaun Alexander.
Alabama Player Stats vs. Tennessee
- Senior Waine Bacon posted eight tackles and one PBU in his debut against the Vols last year in Tuscaloosa.
- Senior punter Lane Bearden has averaged 45.6 yards on 12 punts in his career against Tennessee.
- Tailback Santonio Beard had one of his better games for the Crimson Tide last year agianst Tennessee. The Nashville, Tenn., native ran 10 times for 141 yards, including a career-long 69 yard run to set up Alabama's go-ahead TD late in the third quarter.
- In addition, Beard averaged 14.1 yards per rushing attempt last year against the Vols, establishing an Alabama single-game record for highest rushing average with a minimum of 10 attempts.
- Wide receiver Sam Collins recorded a career-high two TD receptions last year against the Vols.
- Collins second TD reception gave the Crimson Tide its first lead of the game. Tyler Watts' six-yard pass to Collins with 9:40 left in the third quarter gave Bama its first lead at 17-14.
- Rover Brooks Daniels had 10 tackles in last year's loss to Tennessee. He was one of two UA players (Charles Jones, 11) with double-figure tackles last year against the Vols.
- Defensive tackle Jarret Johnson's best game against Tennessee came in 2000, where he posted five tackles, two sacks (-15), one TFL (-4) and three QBPs.
- Free safety Charles Jones' best game at Alabama came last year against Tennessee, when he posted 11 tackles and one PBU. The 2001 UT game is his only career double-figure tackle game for the Tide.
- Defensive end Nautyn McKay-Loescher had six tackles and one QB pressure in last year's game at Tuscaloosa.
- Defensive end Kindal Moorehead had 12 career tackles in three games against Tennessee. He also has one sack in each of his last two games with the Vols.
- Quarterback Tyler Watts started the only game of his career against the Vols last year in Tuscaloosa. As a junior, Watts completed 10-of-23 passes for 165 yards and two TDs.
- Watts has never taken a snap at quarterback against Tennessee here in Neyland Stadium. Andrew Zow took every snap in the Tide's 20-10 loss here in 2000.
Just for KicksAlabama has used three place kickers this season for only the sixth time since the 1977 season. Sophomores Michael Ziifle and Brian Bostick and junior Kyle Robinson have handled the place-kicking chores for Alabama this season.
- Including the punter and kickoff specialist, Alabama has used five different kickers during the 2002 season. In addition to three place kickers, Alabama has used two punters (Bearden and Ziifle) and two kickoff specialists (Bearden and Ziifle).
- Alabama also used three place kickers in 1977, 1979, 1981, 1991 and 1997.
- Ziifle opened the season as Alabama's place-kicker and was replaced the short-range field goal kicker by Brian Bostick against Southern Miss on Sept. 21.
- Bostick took over the PAT duties in the 27-25 loss to Georgia on Oct. 5.
- Robinson made his Alabama debut as he kicked extra points against Ole Miss. Robinson made his first career extra point attempt with 10:37 left in the first quarter as the Crimson Tide took a 7-0 lead. Robinson converted all six PAT attempts in his first collegiate game for the Tide. He finished the game a perfect 6-for-6 in PATs.
- Robinson's perfect day (6-of-6 PATs) against Ole Miss marks the first time since the 1981 season that Alabama has had three kickers to score in the same season.
- During the 1981 season, Peter Kim (25x26 PAT; 15x20 FG), Paul Trodd (4x4 PAT; 1x1 FG) and Terry Sanders (1x1 FG) all scored for the Crimson Tide.
Putting the Left Foot ForwardIn addition, Robinson became just the third left-footed place kicker to appear in a game for the Crimson Tide since the 1980 season. The last left-footer to kick for Alabama was A.J. Diaz, who missed a 60-yard FG attempt on the final play of the game at Auburn in an 18-17 loss in 1997.
Robinson also became the first left-footed kicker to score in a game for Alabama since Georges Mardini converted his only extra point attempt in the Crimson Tide's 42-7 Homecoming win over Southern Miss on Oct. 25, 1980 at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Mardini, a native of Demascus, Syria, kicked the final extra point for the Tide in its blowout win over the Golden Eagles.
Missing in ActionThe Crimson Tide has had six starters miss playing time this season, totaling 24 games missed through Oct. 19. Senior flanker Antonio Carter is recovering from an off-season injury and will redshirt the 2002 season. He has missed all seven games thus far. In addition, starting fullback Donnie Lowe gave up football for medical reasons prior to the start of two-a-days. Four more starters have missed action this year for Alabama, including senior tailback Ahmaad Galloway, sophomore tight end David Cavan, senior punter Lane Bearden and senior quarterback Tyler Watts. Galloway tore his ACL and MCL in the Southern Miss game (Sept. 21) and is out for the remainder of the season.
Crimson Tide StreaksSeveral Alabama players enter the Tennessee game with several noteworthy streaks.
*The Crimson Tide has won nine of its last 11 games, dating back to the 2001 season.
*Bama has also won three of its last four SEC games, its best streak since the 1999 season.
*Played in 29 consecutive games, dating back to second game of the 2000 season.
*Played in 19 consecutive games, dating back to the 2001 season opener with UCLA.
*Played all 43 games of his Alabama career.
*Started every game (19) of his UA career.
*Played in 19 consecutive games for Alabama, dating back to the 2001 season opener with UCLA.
*Played in every game (43) in his Alabama career. Also, started every game this season for Alabama and has nine straight starts, dating back to the 2001 season.
*Collins has caught at least one pass in nine straight games and 19 of his last 21 overall.
*He has six TD receptions in his last 13 games for Alabama.
*Played in all 30 games in his Alabama career. Also made 19 consecutive starts at rover.
*Played in 29 consecutive games for Alabama, dating back to the second game of the 2000 season. Also made 19 consecutive starts at center for the Tide.
*Caught at least one pass in eight straight games.
*In his last three games, Fulgham has 10 catches for 224 yards (22.4) and two TDs.
*Played in every game (43) of his UA career. The Ole Miss game (Oct. 19) was his 30th consecutive start at DT, dating back to the 2000 season opener at UCLA.
*Started 19 consecutive games for Alabama, dating back to the 2001 season opener with UCLA.
*Played in 19 consecutive games and made seven starts for the Crimson Tide.
*Played in every game (30) in his UA carer since the 2000 season.
*Started 19 consecutive games for Alabama since the 2001 season opener with UCLA.
*Played every game (30) as Alabama's deep snapper since the 2000 season opener at UCLA.
*Played 19 consecutive games for Alabama, dating back to the 2001 season opener with UCLA.
*Played in 19 consecutive games for Alabama since the start of the 2001 season.