Alabama/Auburn Series Notes
- Record: UA leads 38-27-1
- The game marks the 54th meeting between the two in-state schools since the rivalry was renewed in 1948.
- Last game: UA, 31-7 (11/7/2001 in Auburn)
- Every meeting between 1902 and 1988 was played at Birmingham's Legion Field ...
- This is only the fourth meeting in Tuscaloosa, and only the second since 1901 ...
- The Tigers are 3-0 in games played in Tuscaloosa ...
- In games decided by seven points or less, the series is tied 11-11-1 ...
- Last year was the first time that neither team was ranked in the final AP poll ...
- Last year, Santonio Beard ran for 199 yards and two touchdowns and Ahmaad Galloway ran for 127 yards, and Alabama out gained the Tigers 549 to272 as the Tide defeated Auburn for the second straight time at Jordan-Hare Stadium, 31-7.
Last Week's SEC Results
Alabama 31, LSU 0
Tide defense shuts out Tigers; allows only 196 total yards
Arkansas 24, Louisiana-Lafayette 17
Jones throws for 2 TDs; rushes for 129 yards and another score
Georgia 24, Auburn 21
Greene 19-yard pass to Johnson with 1:25 left is game-winner
November 23, SEC Schedule
AUBURN (7-4) at ALABAMA (9-2)
2:30 p.m. (C) Tuscaloosa, Ala. * CBS Sports * Bryant-Denny Stadium (83,818)
Series: ALA leads, 38-27-1 * Last: ALA, 31-7 (11/17/2001 at Auburn)
TENNESSEE (6-4) at VANDERBILT (2-9)
11:30 a.m. (C) Nashville, Tenn. * JP Sports * The Coliseum (68,798)
Series: UT records indicate UT leads series, 64-26-5; VU records indicate UT leads series, 63-28-5 *Last: UT, 38-0 (11/24/2001 at Knoxville)
ARKANSAS (7-3) at MISSISSIPPI STATE (3-7)
1:30 p.m. (C) Starkville, Miss. * Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field (55,082)
Series: UA leads, 6-5-1 * Last: UA, 24-21 (11/17/2001 at Fayetteville)
SOUTH CAROLINA (5-6) at CLEMSON (6-5)
7:45 p.m. (E) Clemson, S.C. * ESPN * Clemson Memorial Stadium (81,473)
Series: CU leads, 59-36-4 * Last: USC, 20-15 (11/17/2001 at Columbia)
OLE MISS (5-5) at LSU (7-3)
7:30 p.m. (C) Baton Rouge, La. * ESPN2 * Tiger Stadium (91,600)
Series: LSU leads, 49-37-4 * Last: UM, 35-24 (10/27/2001 at Baton Rouge)
OPEN: Florida (8-3), Georgia (10-1), Kentucky (7-4)
SEC Defensive Player of the Week
SS WAINE BACON (ALABAMA)
5-10 * 195 * Sr. * Fort Washington, Md. (Bishop McNamara HS)
Bacon recorded eight tackles and had a pass deflection as the Crimson Tide shutout LSU, 31-0, in Baton Rouge. Alabama's defense limited the Tigers to 196 total yards, marking the third time this season the Tide has held an opponent to less than 200 total offensive yards. Bacon anchored an Alabama secondary that limited LSU to nine completions and just 65 passing yards. Alabama became the first team to shutout LSU since 1996.
Auburn Tigers at Alabama Crimson Tide2:30 p.m. (C) * Bryant-Denny Stadium (83,818) * Tuscaloosa
LIVE TELEVISION: CBS Sports (Verne Lundquist, play-by-play; Todd Blackledge, analyst; Jill Arrington, sideline reporter)
RADIO: Crimson Tide Sports Network (Eli Gold, play-by-play; Ken Stabler, analyst; Tom Roberts, sideline reporter)
Auburn Radio Network (Jim Fyffe, play-by-play; Stan White, analyst; Quentin Riggins, sideline reporter)
ALABAMA (9-2, 6-1 SEC)
Head Coach: Dennis Franchione (Pittsburg (KS) State, '73)
Overall/Yrs: 154-72-2 (.680) / 20th season
UA/Yrs: 16-7 (.696) / 2nd season
National Rankings: 9th - AP
Formations: Offense - Multiple * Defense - Pressing
Tide Key PlayersQB Tyler Watts (6-3, 222, Sr., Pelham, Ala.)
Has completed 93 of 145 passes for 1,207 yards with 6 TDs and 4 INTs this season ... He has also rushed for 300 yards and three touchdowns on 101 carries ... Ninth in Alabama history in career passing yards (3,110) and 7th in total offense (4,405) ... Injured against Ole Miss, and left game in the first half ... Did not play against Arkansas and Georgia (injury).
RB Santonio Beard (6-1, 216, Jr., Nashville, Tenn.)
Has rushed for 684 yards on 135 carries and has 11 TDs ... Has also caught five passes for 74 yards ... 6th in the SEC in scoring with 66 points ... Rushed 13 times for 138 yards and five touchdowns against Ole Miss, tying an Alabama record ... His performance against the Rebels earned him Offensive Player of the Week.
ROV Brooks Daniels (6-2, 205, Jr., Jasper, Fla.)
Has started every game ... Leads the team in tackles with 83 (50 solo) ... Has seven tackles for loss (-21) and four sacks (-19) ... Recorded 16 tackles against Middle Tennessee State.
SS Waine Bacon (5-10, 195, Sr., Fort Washington, Md.)
Has started 23 straight games at strong safety ... Has recorded 61 tackles (28 solo) this year ... Also has two interceptions, two fumble recoveries and one blocked field goal.
Alabama Team Notes
- Leads the SEC and is sixth in the nation in rushing defense with 84.1 yards per game ...
- Leads the SEC and the nation in total defense with 244.3 yards per game ...
- Is second in the SEC in rushing offense (216.5) ...
- Is also second in pass defense efficiency with a 97.1 rating ...
- Leads the SEC with 37.5 sacks ...
- Leads the league in tackles for loss (89) ...
- Alabama's defense has allowed two or less TDs in eight games this season, winning all of those games ...
- The Tide has also allowed less than 60 rushing yards in six games, going 5-1 in those games.
AUBURN (7-4, 4-3 SEC)
Head Coach: Tommy Tuberville (Southern Arkansas, '76)
Overall/Yrs: 53-38 (.582) / 8th season
AU/Yrs: 28-19 (.596) / 4th season
National Rankings: NR - ESPN/USA Today; NR - AP
Formations: Offense - Pro Style * Defense - 4-3
Tiger Key PlayersRB Ronnie Brown (6-1, 217, So., Cartersville, Ga.)
With the injury to Carnell Williams, Brown now takes over the lead running back position ... Has 138 carries for 824 yards and 11 touchdowns ... Has also caught eight passes for 165 yards and one touchdown ... Is fourth in the SEC in scoring with 72 points.
LB Karlos Dansby (6-5, 221, Jr., Birmingham, Ala.)
Has played in 23 straight games and has started the last 20 games ... Has 65 tackles, with 12 for a loss (-45), three interceptions and two fumble recoveries ... Leads the team with four sacks (-33) ... Earned Defensive Player of the Week honors for his four tackle, two interception performance against LSU.
LB Dontarrious Thomas (5-11, 175, Fr., Tampa, Fla.)
Second on the Tigers in tackles with 75 (24 solo) ... Has eight tackles for losses (-24), one sack and two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble ... Had a team-high 14 tackles, including two or losses against USC.
P Damon Duval (6-1, 192, Sr., Chattanooga, Tenn.)
First in Auburn history for points kicking with 261 ... 18th in SEC history in scoring (261) ... Is a perfect 125 for 125 in extra points ... Is second in the SEC with a 43.8 average per punt.
Tiger Team Notes
- The Tigers are second in the conference in total offense (405.6 ypg) and third in pass defense efficiency (104.3 ypg) ...
- Last time they did not rush for over 100 yards was against North Carolina in the 2001 Peach Bowl (31 yards) ...
- Auburn has 100-yard rushers in six games this year (Williams 3, Brown 3) ...
- Williams broke his leg against Florida, and is out for the year ...
- When Williams is in the lineup, the Tigers are 10-6. When he is out of the lineup, they are 4-2 ...
- Auburn leads the SEC with 30 rushing TD's this year ...
- The Tigers are 8-4 when Jason Campbell is their starting quarterback ...
- AU leads the SEC with 104 points scored off turnovers this season ...
- Auburn needs a win to stay in the hunt for the Western Division title.