- Alabama's six SEC wins are the most since the 1999 team won the SEC Championship with a 7-1 SEC slate.
- The Crimson Tide won only six SEC games in the last two seasons combined, posting a 2-6 record in 2000 and a 4-4 league mark last year.
- Dating back to last year, Alabama is 8-1 in its last nine SEC games.
- En route to its 6-1 conference record, Alabama is averaging 418.3 yards per game this season. The Crimson Tide is averaging 200.6 rushing yards (16 TDs) and 217.7 passing yards (9 TDs) per game in SEC play.
- Beard and Williams have accounted for a majority of the Crimson Tide's rushing offense in SEC play this season. Beard has 105 carries for 544 yards and nine TDs, while Williams has 70 carries for 478 yards and three TDs.
- The duo has accounted for 72.3 percent of the Crimson Tide's rushing offense in seven league games this season. Beard and Williams also have 12 of UA's 16 rushing TDs in SEC play.
- Both quarterbacks have played well in the Crimson Tide's seven league games thus far. Watts has completed 48-of-74 (.649) passes for 619 yards and four TDs, while Croyle is 46-of-84 (.548) for 904 yards and five TDs.
- Alabama receivers Triandos Luke (20-279-2), Dre Fulgham (19-342-3) and Sam Collins (18-308-1) have carried the bulk of the load at the receiver position this year.
- Against SEC Western Division teams, Alabama has averaged 473.5 total yards against Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. State and LSU. The Crimson Tide has a decided advantage on the ground, outrushing the opposition 241.5 yards to 103.5 yards per game.
- The Crimson Tide has a 24.5 scoring margin against SEC Western Division teams. In the second half, UA has outscored the opposition 58-5.
Alabama Quick Notes:
- Alabama is 13-2 (.867) in its last 15 games...
- The UA defense leads the nation in total defense and also ranks among the Top 10 nationally in scoring defense (7th), rushing defense (6th) and passing defense (9th)...
- Alabama has had a 100-yard receiver in three consecutive games...
- Rover Brooks Daniels is six tackles shy of the 100-tackle mark for the second straight year.
- UA as scored in 16 consecutive trips into the "red zone"...
Next WeekAlabama closes out the 2002 season on the island of Oahu when it travels to face the Hawai'i Rainbows (Nov. 30) at Aloha Stadium. This will be the first regular season game in Alabama history not to be played in the continental United States. The game at UH marks the Crimson Tide's second visit to Honolulu. Alabama beat Southern California 24-3 in the 1985 Aloha Bowl in a matchup of the the nation's two most prolific bowl teams. The Alabama-Hawai'i game will be nationally televised by ESPN beginning at 6:45 p.m. (CST).
Top Ten in Football and HoopsThe University of Alabama football team is ranked No. 9 in this week's Associated Press poll and the men's basketball team is ranked No. 4. It's the second straight week both teams have been ranked simultaneously in the Top 10. Having both teams ranked in the nation's top 10 has occurred in seven different seasons, including this one. The last time was
January 13, 1992, the basketball team was ranked No. 8 while the football team was No. 8 in the final AP poll.
Bama Ties School Record for Most Regular Season GamesThis Saturday's game with Auburn will mark Alabama's 12th regular-season game, tying the school record for most regular season games played. The Crimson Tide also played 12 regular season games in 1986, with the addition of the Ohio State game in the Aug. 27 Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands in New Jersey.
- Alabama will play its school record 13th regular season game next Saturday at Hawai'i.
- The 13-game season will also tie the school record for most games in a single-season, including post-season games.
- Alabama also played 13 games in 1986, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1999.
- The Crimson Tide played in the SEC Championship Game and a bowl game in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1999, in addition to its 11 regular-season games.
- The 1986 season included 12 regular-season games, plus a Sun Bowl win over SMU.
Tough LossesAlabama has only two losses this season by a combined 15 points. The losses came at Oklahoma and Georgia, two teams presently ranked in the Top 5 of the BCS Standings released Monday, Nov. 18. No. 2 Oklahoma scored two late TDs to beat Alabama 37-24, while Georgia kicked a field goal in the final minute to prevail 27-25.
Bama Seeks NCAA-Record 27th Ten-Win SeasonAlabama has compiled a 9-2 record in its first 11 games of the 2002 season and with a win over arch-rival Auburn this weekend in Tuscaloosa will extend the Crimson Tide's NCAA record for 10-win seasons. Alabama has 26, 10-win seasons, but has not posted double-figure wins since its 1999 SEC Championship season (10-3). Below is a look at the Crimson Tide's 10-win seasons.
- Every Alabama coach since 1920 has had at least one 10-win season with the exception of J.B. "Ears" Whitworth.
- With one win in his next two games, Coach Fran can match Xen Scott and Gene Stallings as the fastest Alabama coaches to record their first 10-win season.
- Both Scott and Stallings posted double-figure wins in their second year with the Crimson Tide.
Daniels Nearing 100 Tackles AgainJunior rover Brooks Daniels is nearing the 100 tackle mark for the second consecutive year. He enters the final two games of the season with 94 tackles, leaving him six tackles short of the century mark. Last year as a sophomore, Daniels recorded 102 tackles, joining linebacker Woodrow Lowe as the only other UA sophomores to record 100 or more tackles in a season. Lowe led the Tide with a school-record 134 tackles in 1974.
- Daniels is averaging 8.5 stops per game this season and at his current pace should end the season with 112 total tackles.
- Last year, Daniels and Saleem Rasheed became on the second duo in school history to record 100 or more tackles in the same season. In 1978, Marty Lyons (119) and Barry Krauss (112) both recorded 100 tackles as Alabama posted an 11-1 record and won its first of two straight national championships.
- Entering the final two games of the 2002 season, only 11 players have recorded 100 or more tackles in a season for Alabama, led by Woodrow Lowe's school-record 134 tackles in 1973.
Bama Has Five-Game Winning StreakThe Crimson Tide has won five straight games, matching its longest winning streak in the Franchione era. Alabama seeks its sixth straight win this Saturday against Auburn, which would be the longest winning streak since a seven-game winning streak during the 1996 season.
- During its current five-game winning streak, Alabama has outscored the opposition 82-15 in the second half.
- Beard is Alabama's leading rusher over the last five games, rushing 69 times for 387 yards (77.4 per game) and nine TDs.
- Watts has completed 48-of-74 passes (.649) for 614 yards and four TDs in those five games.
- Croyle is 18-of-31 (.580) also for 442 yards and two TDs.
- Croyle is averaging 24.6 yards per completion during the Tide's five-game winning streak.
- Luke (20-279-2) and Fulgham (12-205-2) have combined to catch 32 passes for 484 yards and four TDs in the last five games.
- Daniels (44) and Wortham (38) are UA's leading tacklers during the five-game winning streak.
Fourth Quarter SuccessAlabama has dominated the opposition during the fourth quarter in each of its last five games, allowing only eight points in wins over Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Miss. State and LSU.
- The Alabama defense has pitched fourth quarter shutouts in four of its last five games, blanking Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss. State and LSU.
- Alabama also shutout Ole Miss, Miss. State and LSU during the second half of the game.
- In its last five games, Alabama has outscored the opposition 51-8 in the fourth quarter.
- In its last five games, Alabama has 63 rushing attempts for 318 yards (63.6 per game) in the fourth quarter. The Crimson Tide has also completed 10-of-20 passes for 199 yards in its last five games.
- Overall, Alabama is averaging 103.4 yards per game in the fourth quarter.
- Opponents have rushed for minus 25 yards (32 attempts) in the fourth quarter in the last five games, an average of minus 5.00 yards per game since Oct. 19. UA opponents have completed 18-of-39 passes for 208 yards and one TD in the fourth quarter since Oct. 19.
- Overall, the Alabama defense has limited the opposition to 36.6 yards per game in the fourth quarter over the last four games.
Protecting the BallAlabama's offense has committed only turnover in its last four games. The lone turnover was a first quarter interception at LSU last weekend in Baton Rouge.
- The interception was the first turnover by Alabama since a Sam Collins fumble during the second quarter of the Tennessee game on Oct. 26.
- Alabama had run 194 plays from scrimmage between turnovers before the interception against LSU.
- Alabama did not commit a turnover in wins over Vanderbilt (Nov. 2) and Miss. State (Nov. 9), marking the first time since 1999 the Crimson Tide had gone consecutive games without a turnover. In 1999, Alabama was turnover free against Ole Miss and Tennessee in consecutive games.
- The 2002 season marked the second straight year Alabama did not have a turnover against Vanderbilt. In the last three meetings (2000-02), Alabama has only one turnover against the Commodores.
- Alabama has a plus nine turnover margin in its last three games, compared to a plus two turnover margin in its first seven games.
- The Crimson Tide has played three games this season without a turnover against Middle Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Miss. State.
- Through 11 games this season, Alabama has a plus 11 turnover margin compared to a plus four turnover margin in 11 games last season.