Georgia BulldogsHead Coach: Mark Richt (Miami, Fla., 1982)
Record at Georgia: 20-5 (.800) / 2nd season
Overall Record: 20-5 (.800) / 2nd season
In Bowl Games: 0-1 (.000)
National Rankings: #4 - AP / #4 - USA Today-ESPN / #3 - BCS
Georgia in Bowl Games: 19-15-3 (.554)
Georgia in Sugar Bowls: 2-4 (.333)
Last Bowl Appearance: 2001 Music City (lost to Boston College, 16-20)
Last Sugar Bowl Appearance: 1983 Sugar (lost to Penn State, 23-27)
Formations: Offense - Pro Style Defense - 4-3 Multiple
Key Georgia PlayersQB David Greene (6-3, 213, So., Snellville, Ga.)
MVP of the 2002 SEC Championship Game ... Leads SEC in pass efficiency with 138.0 rating ... Completed 209 of 365 passes for 2,836 yards with 22 TDs and 8 INTs ... 3rd in the SEC in total offense, averaging 214.7 yards per game ... Unanimous All-SEC selection in 2002 ... Career pass efficiency rating of 141.9 is fifth all-time in the SEC.
DE David Pollack (6-2, 275, So., Snellville, Ga.)
Voted SEC Player of the Year by the league's coaches ... Named to four different All-America teams ... Leads the SEC in tackles for losses (22 for -111 yards), sacks (13 for -83 yards) and QB pressures (34) ... Has 97 total tackles on the season (55 solos) ... One of five finalists for the Nagurski Award, given to nation's top defensive player.
OT Jon Stinchcomb (6-6, 282, Sr., Lilburn, Ga.)
Named consensus All-SEC and Walter Camp All-America squad ... Also named to Verizon Academic All-America team ... Named one of 12 semifinalists for the Lombardi Award, given to nation's best lineman or linebacker.
LB Boss Bailey (6-4, 218, Sr., Folkston, Ga.)
Unanimous All-SEC selection ... One of 11 semifinalists for the Butkus Award ... Leads the Bulldogs in tackles with 109 (59 solos) with 8.5 for losses (-61), including five sacks (-50) ... Named All-America by the AFCA and second team by The Sporting News.
Georgia Team Notes
- Bulldogs have been to six straight bowl games and the first New Year's Day game since the 2000 Outback Bowl ...
- Bulldogs have won 12 games for the first time in school history ...
- This year's SEC Championship is the 11th in school history and the first since 1982 ...
- Mark Richt was a unanimous selection as the SEC Coach of the Year ...
- Georgia leads the SEC in scoring offense (32.6 ppg) and scoring defense (15.3 ppg).
Florida State SeminolesHead Coach: Bobby Bowden (Samford, 1953)
Record at Florida State: 259-63-4 (.801) / 27th season
Overall Record: 332-95-4 (.775) / 37th season
In Bowl Games: 18-6-1 (.740)
Conference: Atlantic Coast
National Rankings: #16 - AP / #16 - USA Today-ESPN / #14 - BCS
Florida State in Bowl Games: 18-10-2 (.633)
Florida State in Sugar Bowls: 4-1 (.800)
Last Bowl Appearance: 2002 Gator (def. Virginia Tech, 30-17)
Last Sugar Bowl Appearance: 2000 Sugar (def. Virginia Tech, 46-29)
Formations: Offense - Pro Set Defense - 4-3 Multiple
2002 Florida State Schedule/Results:8/24 vs. Iowa State (at Kansas City), W, 38-31
8/31 Virginia, W, 40-19
9/14 at Maryland, W, 37-10
9/21 Duke, W, 48-17
9/28 at Louisville, L, 20-26 (OT)
10/3 Clemson, W, 48-31
10/12 at Miami (Fla.), L, 27-28
10/26 Notre Dame, L, 24-34
11/2 at Wake Forest, W, 34-21
11/9 at Georgia Tech, W, 21-13
11/16 North Carolina, W, 40-14
11/23 at N.C. State, L, 7-17
11/30 Florida, W, 31-14
Key Florida State PlayersOT Brett Williams (6-6, 310, Sr., Kissimmee, Fla.)
Named first-team All-America by the American Football Coaches Association and The Sporting News ... Two-time winner of Jacobs Blocking Trophy in ACC and two-time first-team All-ACC ... four-year starter.
WR Anquan Boldin (6-2, 226, Jr., Pahokee, Fla.)
Led Seminoles in all three receiving categories (62 catches for 977 yards and 12 TDs) ... Named second-team All-ACC ... Earned Brian Piccolo Award as most couragous player in ACC after missing all of 2001 season with knee injury.
Florida State Team Notes
- Seminoles have been to bowl games for 21 straight seasons including 11 New Year's Day or later bowl games ...
- 11 of FSU's 13 opponents this season are playing in post-season bowl games ...
- Seminoles are 14-3 in last 17 bowl games with three losses coming in National Championship Games ...
- Since joining the ACC in 1992, the Seminoles have won 10 conference titles ...
- Since that time, no team has won as many league titles in any conference.
- Series Record: UGA leads, 5-4-1
- Last Meeting: Tied, 17-17 (12/22/84 at Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Fla.)
- Teams have not met during the regular season since 1965 ...
- Florida State has won four of the last five outings with the other, being a tie in the Citrus Bowl ...
- Last Georgia win in series was a 42-0 win in Athens in 1959 ...
- 1984 Citrus Bowl is only bowl meeting of the two teams ...
- In games played in Tallahassee, series tied, 2-2 ...
- In games played in Athens, series tied, 2-2 ...
- Teams played regular season game in Jacksonville in 1958, which Georgia won 28-13 ...
- Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt was an assistant at Florida State from 1985-88 and 1990-2000 ...
- Georgia Asst. Head Coach/Wide Receiver Coach John Eason was wide receiver coach at FSU during 1984 Citrus Bowl.