"These were difficult matches coming off a huge win," Tide assistant coach Mario Rincon said. "They handled it very well. After an emotional win, it's hard to get up for the other matches."
Alabama took control over Jacksonville State early in the match and never relinquished it. After Bama won the doubles point for the 1-0 lead, Chris Gostek made quick work of Arthuro Nieto, beating him 6-2, 6-0, for the Tide's second point of the match. Gostek has yet to lose a set in six matches this season, as he also disposed of Georgia State's Miha Lisac in straight sets.
Senior Max Belski, ranked 39th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, scored two singles wins and one doubles win on the day.
Junior Christian Brodersen extended his dual-match winning streak to 19 as he rolled to another two-set victory in the first match, but fell to Georgia State's Albano Franco to end the streak. Brodersen's last dual-match loss prior to Sunday came one year ago, when Ohio State's Vince Ng downed Brodersen 6-2, 6-4 in Columbus, Ohio.
"Playing singles and doubles in both matches today was hard for him," Rincon said of Brodersen. "By the time he played his fourth match today it made a difference."
The last time Bama won more than six consecutive matches to begin a season was in 1993 when they started 7-0. Although Alabama teams have begun the season 7-0 three times before, no Crimson Tide team has ever exceeded that mark.
Senior Michael Ray Pallares also played singles in both matches today, picking up his fifth and sixth wins of the season.
Bama continues its home stand on Wednesday with a 1:00 PM match against Tennessee-Chattanooga.
Complete Match Results follow:
Alabama 6, Jacksonville State 1
*1. #39 Maxim Belski (UA) def. #96Ruben Herrera (JSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Chris Gostek (UA) def. Arturo Nieto (JSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Christian Brodersen (UA) def. Raphael Rapson (JSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Michael Ray Pallares (UA) def. Raphael Rodriguez (JSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Vedran Sirola (JSU) def. William Boyles (UA) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Matt Drummond (UA) def. Christian Rybertt (JSU) 6-1, 7-5
1. Gostek/Geoff Hiscox (UA) def. Herrera/Nieto (JSU) 8-6
2. Rapson/ Sirola (JSU) def. Brodersen/Brian Isern (UA) 9-8
3. Boyles/Tom Givan (UA) def. Rodriguez/Toby Bourke (JSU) 8-5
Alabama 6, Georgia State 1
1. #39 Maxim Belski (UA) def. Matias Ormaza (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Chris Gostek (UA) def. Miha Lisac (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Geoff Hiscox (UA) def. Luke Bernard (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 5-2
4. Albano Franco (GSU) def. Christian Brodersen (UA) 7-5, 6-0
*5. Michael Ray Pallares (UA) def. Chris Magnone (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. William Boyles (UA) def. Nicolas Lupica (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Hiscox/Belski (UA) def. Lupica/Magnone (GSU) 8-2
2. Gostek/Boyles (UA) def. Lisac/Bernard (GSU) 9-7
3. Ormaza/Franco (GSU) def. Brodersen/Brian Isern (UA) 8-6