After going down 3-1 in the match Alabama needed wins in the three remaining matches to avoid its first loss of 2003. Geoff Hiscox came through first for Alabama, winning the second set tiebreaker to secure a point at No. 4.
Meanwhile, Chris Gostek dropped his first set of the year, but came back to win his match and tie the score at 3-3. Gostek is now 9-0 on the season. Bama junior Christian Brodersen polished off Jeff Groslimond to clinch the match for Alabama. It was Brodersen's third match-clinching victory of the season.
"Getting through this match with a win will help us down the road," Alabama head coach Billy Pate said. "We are becoming the cardiac kids while winning these close matches. But I can't say enough of the upperclassmen who are really playing tough in helping secure the victories."
Alabama heads to Murphreesboro, Tenn. on Wednesday to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders. The match will be the final match before the Tide begins Southeastern Conference play in Baton Rouge, La. on Feb. 28.
Alabama 4, Florida State 3Doubles:
1. Jerrera/Jurd (FSU) d. Mitchell/Hiscox (UA, #8) 9-8
2. Cloer/Laub (FSU) d. Boyles/Gostek (UA) 9-8
3. Groslimond/Chirs Westerhopf (FSU) d. Belski/Brad Friedman (UA) 8-5
1. Maxim Belski (UA, #39) d. Mat Cloer (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Romain Jurd (FSU) d. Stephen Mitchell (UA) 6-0, 7-6
3. Chris Gostek (UA) d. Alex Herrera (FSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Geoff Hiscox (UA) d. Chip Webb (FSU) 7-5, 7-6
5. Christian Brodersen (UA) d. Jeff Groslimond (FSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Rodrigo Laub (FSU) d. Michale Ray Pallares (UA) 6-2, 7-6