Alabama (12-2, 2-2 SEC) went down 2-0 after losing the doubles point and dropping a quick two-set match at No. 1 singles. The Tide then needed to win four of the five singles matches remaining on court for the match. Instead, Bama won all five.
Stephen Mitchell broke through first at No. 2 with a win over Georgia's Stephan Timu, then William Boyles and Christian Brodersen got victories within five minutes of one another to put the Tide up 3-2.
It was Tide senior Geoff Hiscox who clinched the match for the Tide. After dropping the first set he was able to fight out the second set winning a tiebreaker over Georgia's Raian Luchichi. Hiscox rolled in the third set, going up 5-1 before eventually closing out the set with a 6-3 third-set win.
"He played really strong at the end of the second set but you get a little bit of momentum and the crowd gets into it and you start playing well," Hiscox said. "I hit a lot of big first serves and when you get that going for you its really tough to break."
After the match was clinched, Tide junior Chris Gostek finished of a comeback win of his own, downing 31st-ranked Nicolas Boeker in three sets.
Alabama steps out of conference for a mid-week match with South Florida on Wednesday. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. Admission to the match is free of charge.
Complete match results follow:
Alabama 5, Georgia 2Doubles:
1. Hodge/Boeker (UGA) d. Belski/Hiscox (UA) 8-5
2. Mitchell/Bradley Friedman (UA) d. Timu/Will Glenn (UGA) 8-5
3. Luchichi/Bobosic (UGA) d. William Boyles/Gostek (UA) 9-8
1. #6 Bo Hodge (UGA) d. Maxim Belski (UA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Stephen Mitchell (UA) d. Stephan Timu (UGA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Chris Gostek (UA) d. Nicolas Boeker (UGA) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Geoff Hiscox (UA) vs. Raian Luchichi 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
5. Christian Brodersen (UA) vs. Strahinja Bobusic (UGA) 7-5, 6-3
6. William Boyles (UA) vs. Jason Varela (UGA) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4