The Crimson Tide also won five straight games from Feb. 23-March 1. Alabama is coming off a three-game sweep of the UMass Minutemen this past weekend here at the Joe. The Crimson Tide outscored the Minutemen 34-5 in the three-game series. The UMass series ended a stretch in which Alabama played 11 games in 16 days, dating back to Feb. 23. The Crimson Tide played a Monday and Thursday game in that stretch, which also included four games in four consecutive days (Feb. 27-Mar. 2).
This Week's ScheduleWed, March 12 Alabama vs. Louisiana Tech 6:30 p.m. CTSN (WRTR-FM, 105.5)
Fri, March 14 Alabama vs. Georgia 6:30 p.m. TBA
Sat, March 15 Alabama vs. Georgia 4 p.m. TBA
Sun, March 16 Alabama vs. Georgia 2 p.m. TBA
RADIO: The games will be aired locally on WRTR-FM (105.5) or WACT-AM (1420) in Tuscaloosa. David Crane and Chris Stewart will call the action.
INTERNET BROADCAST: Live stats (home games only) and audio broadcasts can be found at www.rolltide.com
TICKETS: Season tickets are available by calling the Alabama Ticket Office (205-348-2262). Single-game tickets are available for $5 each and the gates will open two hours prior to each game.
RANKINGS: Alabama is ranked in all four polls (19th USA Today Sports Weekly, 24th Baseball America, 24th Collegiate Baseball and 27th NCBWA). Louisiana Tech is not ranked.
Starting Pitching RotationFor Alabama: 20 Seth Johnson R-R 3 G, 1 GS, 1-0, 0.96 ERA, --or--
38 Jared Woodward R-R 5 G, 1 GS, 1-0, 4.97 ERA
For LaTech: 36 Adam Kirkendall L-L 5 G, 5 GS, 1-3, 4.20 ERA, Kirkendall beat Alabama (7.2 IP, 8 K) in 2001
The RecordsAlabama (12-3) has won four straight games and nine of its last 10 entering Wednesday's game with Louisiana Tech. The Crimson Tide is also 10-2 (.833) here at the Joe this season. Louisiana Tech (5-11-1) has posted an 0-6-1 record in its last seven games. The Bulldogs were swept at home this past weekend by No. 1 Rice in the first WAC series of the season. Tech has not won a game since beating Nicholls State (10-4) on Feb. 27th.
The CoachesAlabama's Jim Wells is in his ninth season at the Capstone, compiling a 383-155 (.712) record at the helm of the Crimson Tide. Overall, Wells is 575-244 (.703) in his 14th season as a Division I head coach. Louisiana Tech head coach Wade Simoneaux has compiled a 5-11-1 (.000) record in his first season with the Bulldogs. Prior to the 2003 season, Simoneaux was the top assistant coach under Tony Robichaux at UL-Lafayette. This is his first head coaching position.
Last Time OutAlabama posted its second shutout of the season with a 12-0 win over UMass (Mar. 9), completing a three-game weekend sweep at the Joe. Senior right fielder Beau Hearod single-handedly beat the Minutemen with a career high four hits and seven RBI in the win. Hearod's fourth career grand slam gave the Crimson Tide a 9-0 lead in the fourth inning. He drove in seven of UA's first nine runs, giving him 32 RBI in 15 games this season. Junior left-handers Jeffrey Norris (7 IP, 7 H, 0 BB, 8 K) and Ryan Beagle (2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K) scattered eight hits in the win.
Next GameAlabama opens SEC play this weekend against the Georgia Bulldogs, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m.
Alabama/Louisiana Tech SeriesAlabama holds a 10-1 (.909) series lead over Louisiana Tech in series that dates back to the 1930s.
- UA and Tech played twice in 1938 and did not meet again until 1993.
- In 1997, the two teams began meeting on a regular basis and have met in six of the last seven years.
- Alabama has never lost a home game to Louisiana Tech, posting a 10-0 record here in Tuscaloosa.
- In 2001, Alabama made its only appearance at J.C. Love Field in Ruston and lost its only game in the 11-game series as it dropped a 7-2 decision on the Tech campus.
- Alabama coach Jim Wells is 16-4 (.800) in his career against Louisiana Tech. Wells has posted a 7-1 record against the Bulldogs while with the Crimson Tide. At Northwestern State (1990-94), Wells went 10-3 (.769) against Tech.
- Wells is 12-0 (1.000) at home against Louisiana Tech in his career. On the road, he has compiled a 4-4 (.500) record against the Bulldogs, including one loss at Alabama in 2001.
- Alabama's 13-1 win over Louisiana Tech during the 2001 season here in Tuscaloosa marked the 300th career win for Bama coach Jim Wells.
- Alabama posted a 4-0 shutout win over Louisiana Tech last season, the school's first opening day shutout since 1994.