Overall Record: 16-3 (.842)
SEC Record: 3-0 (1.000)
Last week's results (4-0):March 12 Alabama 6, Louisiana Tech 3
March 14 Alabama 8, Georgia 7
March 15 Alabama 12, Georgia 2
March 16 Alabama 7, Georgia 5
This week's schedule:Wed, March 19 Alabama at Samford (6 PM)
Fri, March 21 Alabama at Florida (6:30 PM) (ET)
Sat, March 22 Alabama at Florida (4 PM) (ET) (Sunshine Network)
Sun, March 23 Alabama at Florida (2 PM) (ET) (Sunshine Network)
Rice named SEC Player of the Week#6 Allen Rice (2B, Sophomore, Pelham, Alabama)
Last Week: 4 G, .583 (7-for-12), 5 R, 2 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 9 RBI
vs. Georgia: 3 G, .600 (6-for-10), 4 R, 2 2B, 2 HR, 9 RBI
vs. La. Tech 1-for-2, R, 3B, BB
vs. Georgia 3-for-5, 2B, 4 RBI
vs. Georgia 2-for-2, 3 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 HBP
vs. Georgia 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
University of Alabama sophomore second baseman Allen Rice has been named the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week in an announcement made the league office Monday afternoon.
Rice is the third Crimson Tide player honored by the league office this season and the second in as many weeks. Senior right fielder Beau Hearod was the SEC Player of the Week last week, while freshman pitcher Allen Ponder was named SEC Pitcher of the Week after tossing five shutout innings against No. 2 Rice for a win in his UA debut on Feb. 16.
- Hit safely in all four games this week for Alabama to raise his season batting average 63 points.
- Responsible for the winning or tying run in all three games against Georgia
- Collected three hits and four RBI, including a game-winning RBI single in bottom of the eighth inning, as UA capped a wild come-from-behind 8-7 win in the series opener with Georgia. UA trailed 5-0 in the the fourth and then overcame a 2 hours rain delay for the win. Rice's game winner came at nearly 1 a.m., some six hours after the start of the game
- Slugged two home runs in UA's 12-2 win over the Bulldogs on March 15. It was his first career SEC home run and first career two home run game at Alabama.
- Also established a career-high five RBI in the win over the Bulldogs.
- Rice was also hit three times in the game, giving him the team and SEC lead with 11 HBPs this season. Two of the three HBPs came after his second home run.
- In the series finale, Rice walked and scored the tying run in UA's six-run, fifth inning for another comeback win. UA trailed 5-0 after the first inning and 5-1 entering the 5th before putting eight straight runners on base, including Rice who walked to load the bases. He eventually scored the tying run and Bama later pushed the game-winner across against UGA ace Sean Ruthven.
- For the season, Rice is batting .286 (17-for-60) with four home runs and 19 RBI in 19 games. In addition, Rice leads the Alabama team and SEC with 11 HBPs.
Pitcher of the Week Nomination#39 Brent Carter (LHP, Sophomore, Americus, Georgia)
- Recorded his second complete game of the season with a 12-2 win over Georgia on March 15th.
- It was his first career SEC start and he was pitching against a team from his home state.
- In nine innings, Carter allowed two runs and five hits, with no walks and a career-high nine strikeouts
- Carried a shutout into the eighth inning before allowing a two-out, two-run home run to reserve catcher Jason Jacobs.
- From the first through the six inning, Carter retired 15 straight Georgia batters.
- Carter has allowed just three earned runs (0.79 ERA) over his last five outing, a span of 34 innings on the mound.
- For the season, Carter has made six appearances and five starts and compiled a 4-1 record and 1.41 ERA. The left-hander has worked 38 1/3 innings and allowed 23 hits, nine runs, six earned runs, three walks and 32 strikeouts.
- He has an 11:1 strikeout to walk ratio this season.
Alabama baseball notebook
- Alabama has now won nine straight SEC home games and 10 straight home games against SEC teams, including a 6-3 NCAA Tournament win over Auburn in the 2002 NCAA Regionals.
- Overall, Alabama has won eight straight games, its longest winning streak of the 2003 season. Since Feb. 23, Alabama has won 13 of its last 14 games.
- The Georgia series marked the end of a 16-game home stand for the Crimson Tide. Alabama won 14 of the 16 games and has won eight in a row. Dating back to last year, Alabama has posted a 46-4 record in its last 50 regular-season home games.
- The Crimson Tide begins a five-game road trip this week, before returning home to face the LSU Tigers (Mar. 28-30). Alabama opens the road trip at Samford this Wednesday night at 6 p.m. and then moves on to Gainesville to face the Florida Gators over the weekend. The road trip concludes with a 7 p.m. game on March 26 at UAB.
- Alabama will play seven of its next eight games against teams currently ranked in the Top 30 in at least one of the four baseball polls.
- Alabama owns a 14-game winning streak over Samford and beat Florida five out of six times last year, including a three-game sweep of an SEC series in Tuscaloosa. UA also won two of three meeting with the Gators at the SEC Tournament.
- Senior center fielder Travis Garner is riding a nine-game hitting streak, the third-longest of the season by an Alabama player. During the streak Garner is batting .419 (13-for-31) and also has a four-game RBI streak. Over his last eight games, Garner has raised his season average 102 points.