Sale favors original school of choice

The coaching change in Tempe did prompt ASU pledge Niu Sale to re-open his recruitment, yet following a Wednesday meeting with the Sun Devil coaches ASU still finds itself in the driver's seat to land the services of the L.A. Harbor offensive lineman.

The 6-3 300-pound Niu Sale was scheduled to be a mid-year transfer, but informed Devils Digest that he will now graduate in May. This change of plans allowed the new Arizona State coaches an opportunity to meet in person with the offensive guard a day after the recruiting dead period was lifted.

"I met today (Wednesday) with the new coach that came from Wisconsin (DelVaughn Alexander) and the offensive coordinator (Mike Norvell)," Sale commented. "After talking to them I can't wait to get out there and visit (Arizona State). They said that I would fit in very well with the fast paced offense that they run and I like that it's very balanced. I was very excited when they explained to me how they run the offense and I think I have a good shot to play early there at guard.

"Right when the new coach (Todd Graham) got hired, someone from their staff visited me right away and told me that they were going to honor my offer and that they still wanted me on the team. I liked that a lot about the school. The coaches that visited me today seem like coaches that I can really relate to and talk to them about anything, not just football. It really feels like a family atmosphere there."

Since de-committing from the Sun Devils, Sale was reportedly going to visit Arkansas and Auburn but those plans never materialized. The junior college lineman who will have three years to play two, has offers from Arizona, Kansas State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Utah and Washington State and has now narrowed down his short list to three schools which he will visit this month.

"I'm going to visit Washington State on the 13th and Idaho on the 20th," Sale said. "Even though I'm looking at all three schools my first option is Arizona State. I just want to make sure that I'm looking at all my options before I lock it down.

"Talking to the Arizona State coaches we were planning a visit on the 27th, but we could move it up depending on the other visits. I'm going to make my decision after my Arizona State visit."

Sun Devil Source Top Stories