In the first meeting between these two squads, the Devils beat Wazzu 71-67 in a tight battle led by Felix and Colvin who dropped 36 points combined. Brock Motum was the Cougars offense with more than half of the team's points in a stellar 34-point effort in the loss.
G – Reggie Moore (9.7 PPG, 5.7 APG) vs. Chris Colvin (6.4 PPG, 3.5 APG)
G – Marcus Capers (5.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG) vs. Carrick Felix (10.3 PPG, 4.3 RPG)
G – DaVonte Lacy (9.0 PPG, 36% 3PT) vs. Trent Lockett (13.5 PPG, 6.1)
F – Brock Motum (17.8 PPG, 6.7 RPG) vs. Jordan Bachynski (5.0 PPG, 3.8 RPG)
Five things to know about Wazzu:
1) Brock Motum is the real deal: in the first matchup between these two teams, the Australian big man went off for 34 points and 8 rebounds. Most impressive about the effort was the efficiency in which he exploded. He was 13-19 from the field with a couple three-pointers and didn't miss in six attempts at the charity stripe.
2) Faisal Aden is sorely missed: Aden was injured against Arizona in Tucson last month right after winning Pac-12 POTW honors. A tenacious scorer who added an entirely different element to the Cougars offense, Aden has been sidelined and Wazzu has lost four of six without him.
3) Reggie Moore is one of the Pac-12's best point guards: a rare pass-first point guard in today's game, Moore spearheads the Cougars offense which averages over 70 points per game under Ken Bone.
4) Abe Lodwick is afraid of free throws: In 317 minutes of game action, Lodwick has attempted just a single free throw and naturally, he missed it.
5) The Cougars protect the house: Despite being .500, Washington State wins 75% of the time at home with 9 wins in 12 contests. The Sun Devils have just two wins all season away from home.
How ASU Wins:
As we just discussed, the Sun Devils are not the greatest visiting team with just two wins in nine true road contests and that will definitely be a key factor. The other key factor though is a good one: confidence. ASU beat these guys last month and believing you can get it done is half the battle.
There is not a lot left at stake for either of these teams this season but pride is a powerful thing and Herb Sendek and his boys don't want to lose 20 games and they most certainly want to win at least 10. Bachynski needs to hold his own against Motum and the duo of Felix and Lockett need to attack the depleted and sometimes soft Cougars defense.
Final Score: Wazzu 73 ASU 65