"Arizona State University takes pride in its status as an elite institution with an elite athletics program," said ASU President Michael Crow. "Sun Devil Stadium has been a landmark in the Valley for the last 56 years. The plan to renovate Sun Devil Stadium gives ASU an opportunity to increase our investment in the community and to set the standard for collegiate athletics facilities. We will need philanthropic support from our community in order to provide features that will take the game experience to a new level."
The proposed plan will completely renovate Sun Devil Stadium, while preserving Tillman Tunnel and retaining the stadium in its iconic setting between the Tempe/Hayden Buttes. Construction on the stadium is scheduled to begin in 2015, with the football team competing in Sun Devil Stadium throughout the renovation. Moving games to an off-site venue would negatively impact the game-day experience for ASU students, season ticket holders, student-athletes, as well as the Tempe Community.
"Sun Devil Stadium is the cornerstone of the legacy and tradition of Arizona State football," said head football coach Todd Graham. "It was important to keep intact that same tunnel that Pat Tillman ran onto the field from on game day. This venue will blend that tradition with all the elements of a top-tier facility and put us at the top of the league."
Sun Devil Stadium, which was originally constructed in 1958, has played host to the Super Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, NFL games, and has appeared in several movies including the Oscar-nominated "Jerry Maguire".
The last major renovation to Sun Devil Stadium came in 1988 when 1,700 seats were added to bring the facility to its current capacity of 71,706. The scheduled removal of the north end zone, announced in the fall of 2013, will take place next month and is not part of the renovation project.
Here are some of the highlights of the stadium renovation plan:
• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a "scrim" or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passersby on either side of the venue.
• All public areas (concourse, restrooms, concessions, ramps, etc.) will be raised and rebuilt with substantially more fixtures and services provided to be consistent with modern football venues across the country.
• Escalators will connect various concourse levels.
• Addition of a new state-of-the-art video board to be installed on the north plaza, as well as a new sound system.
• A unique terrace will be built on the north plaza where concerts and community events can be hosted.
• Current press box will be enhanced and new kitchen installed.
• Upper deck will be reconfigured to increase height between concourses, allowing the development of a new premium seating level for new suites and club space.
• Club area will be air-conditioned and the club seating will be open-air.
• A new student section will be built in south end zone and plans include a student club area. • In addition to the added elements, fans will enjoy enhanced seat comfort, increased quantity and quality of restrooms, increased legroom, escalators, enhanced video and audio functionality.
• Current stadium capacity will be reduced to improve the fan experience. The removal of the north end zone upper deck will reduce capacity by 5,700 in 2014. Once construction is complete, the stadium capacity is estimated to be approximately 60,000.
• Stadium naming rights could be sold to generate additional revenue to make improvements to Sun Devil Stadium.
• ASU has committed to investing $210 million into restoring and improving Sun Devil Stadium.
Click here Sun Devil Stadium Fly-Through Video which illustrates renovation plans