Wildcats lose first game of season

Arizona's four game winning streak to start the season came to an end on Friday night, as it lost to Mississippi State 67-57.

Mississippi State got off to a quick start on Friday night and Arizona could never complete its comeback, as the Bulldogs defeated the Wildcats 67-57 at Madison Square Garden.

Mississippi State got off to a quick start, as a layup by Renardo Sidney, a three by Rodney Hood, and a dunk by Arnett Moultrie put the Bulldogs up 7-0 less than two minutes into the game. Arizona got on the board to a three-pointer by Jordin Mayes, but Mississippi State kept the Wildcats in control until Solomon Hill cut the lead to 11-9.

Moultrie then made a jumper, hit a free throw, and tipped in a rebound to push the lead to 16-9 at the 14:44 mark. Brian Bryant later hit a three-pointer to give the Bulldogs a 21-11 lead with 13:00 left and Arizona then answered with a run.

Josiah Turner made a layup and Nick Johnson followed with a three-pointer. Jesse Perry then hit a three to cut the lead to two, where it stayed until Kyle Fogg hit a jumper with under ten minutes left that tied the game at 23. A few minutes later, another three by Bryant gave the Bulldogs a four-point lead, but a Solomon Hill layup cut it to two going into the under four minute timeout.

A Jalen Steele layup brought Mississippi State's lead up to six with 2:30 left and Perry hit a jumper to bring it to four. Johnson then made a three about a minute later, as Arizona went into the half down 35-34.

It took over two minutes for the first basket to be scored in the second half and it was a Dee Bost three-pointer to go up four. Moultrie then made a layup to push the lead to six, but Arizona came back with layups by Hill and Mayes, as the Wildcats eventually cut the lead to 42-41 going into the T.V. timeout.

Deville Smith made a layup out of the timeout and a few plays later, Steele made a jumper to put Mississippi State up five. Smith then made another layup to go up seven and force Arizona to call timeout with about 12 minutes to go in the second half.

Perry made a layup to end the run, but Smith made two free throws for an answer of his own. Kevin Parrom then had a three and Fogg hit one free throw to pull within three with just under eight minutes left. A few minutes later, Turner's free throw cut the lead to two, but Moultrie came right right with four straight points to bring the lead back up to six with just over four minutes left.

Two free throws by Lewis and a layup pushed the Bulldogs' lead to ten with under two minutes left and the game was over for the Wildcats.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories