Wildcats lose heartbreaker

Arizona tried to come back and had a chance to win, but the deficit was too large, as Washington defeated it 69-67 at McKale.

The Wildcats lost momentum after a Kevin Parrom injury and struggled to come back, as the Huskies won 69-67 Saturday at McKale.

Aziz N'Diaye scored four quick points that was answered by a Kyle Fogg three-pointer. Desmond Simmons added a three not too long after and Terrence Ross scored to open up a 10-3 lead for the Huskies. Solomon Hill scored a bucket, but Ross responded with a three-pointer and two plays later, Ndiaye got his sixth point of the game as Washington went into the first timeout up 14-7.

Out of the timeout, Kevin Parrom got fouled and hit one free throw before hitting a jumper. Hill then added a three-pointer, as Washington was forced to call timeout up one with 11:56 left in the first half. A short jumper by Josiah Turner gave the Wildcats the lead and then he added a layup off a turnover shortly after to extend it to 17-14. An offensive rebound by Darnell Gant ended the run for the UA and a jumper by C.J. Wilcox gave the Huskies the lead right back.

The Huskies then outscored Arizona 4-1 before Hill had a great drive that was answered by a Wroten three-pointer, but matched by one from Fogg that made the score 25-23 in favor of UW with 6:39 left. The teams then exchanged buckets before the next time out, as Washington led 27-25 with 4:39 left in the first half.

Out of the final media timeout of the half, Turner made two free throws to tie the game and then followed with a jumper that was matched by a two-pointer by Wilcox to tie the game. Parrom then hit one free throw with a little over two minutes left to get Arizona the lead back again. As the half came to an end, Nick Johnson missed a three, but Hill had a tip-dunk that gave Arizona the 32-29 lead at the half.

Washington scored four minutes in the first minute or so of the second half to grab the lead, but Hill got to the basket easier, as his layup put the Wildcats up 34-33. Perry's two free throws then extended the lead to three, but Wroten scored four straight points and Ndiaye added two more to force Arizona to call timeout down39-36.

The teams then exchanged buckets before a layup bus Austin Sefarian-Jenkins gave the Huskies a 45-41 lead with over 12 minutes to go in the second half. Perry was able to hit one free throw, but Wilcox responded with a basket and the Wildcats went into a timeout down five with 11:46 left. A few minutes later, two free throws by Hill did not amount to much, as Wilcox hit a three and UW called timeout with 9:29 left up 50-44.

The Wildcats proceeded to play strong defense coming out of the timeout, but Wroten hit a deep three as the shot clock expired to put the Huskies up nine. Arizona cut the lead to five due to two free throws by Hill and a layup by Brendon Lavender with a little over seven minutes left, but Wilcox was able to get to the basket for two of his own before Ross hit a three that put the Huskies up 10.

The lead stayed at ten until Hill hit two free throws to cut it to eight with 5:05 left in the second half. Every time the Wildcats got something going, the Huskies had an answer and a layup by Ross with over three minutes left gave the Huskies the ten-point lead and seemingly ended the game.

Arizona made it interesting with a little over two minutes left when Hill had a three-point play that cut Washington's lead to 62-56. However, Wilcox made a layup almost immediately after to kill any type of momentum. Perry had a different idea when he came back with two free throws and the UA proceeded to force a five-second violation before a layup by Hill made it a four-point game with under two minutes left.

A small jumper by Johnson then cut it to two with about 1:15 left, but a two-pointer by Ross put the lead back up to four, as the Huskies added one free throw to make it a five-point game with 39 seconds left. A layup by Perry cut the lead to three and Wilcox missed a free throw as Hill came down and hit a three to tie the game. Unfortunately for Arizona, Turner was called for a blocking foul that put Wilcox at the line again, as he made both free throws with five seconds left.

Arizona had a shot at the end, but Turner missed a layup and Johnson's tip in dunk was late.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories