Arizona blown out at Oregon

Arizona lost to Oregon 49-0 on Saturday night. Read on for a complete recap of the action.

No. 22 Arizona (3-1, 0-1) suffered its first loss of the season after falling to No. 3 Oregon (4-0, 1-0), 49-0 on Saturday night in front of a sold-out crowd at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore.

Despite its productive offensive drives, Arizona was unable to convert, coming up short on six trips to the red zone. The Wildcat defense also showed fight, forcing three Oregon turnovers and holding the Ducks to 13 points in the first half.

On Oregon's second drive of the game, junior Marquis Flowers (Phoenix, Ariz.) forced a fumble and sophomore Reggie Gilbert (Laveen, Ariz.) recovered on the Ducks' 11-yard line. The Wildcats suffered their first failed red zone attempt after throwing an interception to give Oregon the ball.

UO took advantage and posted the first score of the game, a 17-yard touchdown to put the Ducks up, 7-0 with 5:42 left in the first quarter.

At the beginning of the second quarter, senior Jake Fischer (Oro Valley, Ariz.) recovered another fumble, forced by sophomore Jared Tevis (Tucson, Ariz,.) to give the Wildcats another shot, this time on the Oregon 34-yard line. The three-play, 21-yard drive ended in a blocked field goal.

Oregon's second score came after a 74-yard drive, ending in a field goal to put the Ducks up, 10-0, with 5:55 left in the second quarter.

UO struck again with 34 seconds left in the first half, scoring another field goal to make the score 13-0 heading into the locker room.

In the third quarter, both teams went through a series of scoreless drives, but Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas returned an Arizona punt for 37 yards to set up an Oregon touchdown and two-point conversion to put the Wildcats down, 21-0.

On a following drive, sophomore Jonathan McKnight (River Ridge, La.) snatched his third interception in three games to put Arizona on the Oregon 35. Senior Matt Scott (Corona, Calif.) led the Wildcats to the 20-yard line, before throwing an interception on a fourth-down attempt.

The Ducks seized the opportunity, scoring once again on a 55-yard pass to put Oregon up, 28-0, with one minute left in the third quarter.

On the next drive, UO capitalized on another Wildcat turnover, scoring another touchdown on a pick six to go up, 35-0 early in the fourth quarter.

Oregon's last scores of the game came in the last five minutes, as it scored a touchdown and turned around with another pick-six to cap the night in a 49-0 result.

The Wildcats will return to Arizona Stadium to welcome Oregon State on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. The game will air on the Pac-12 Network.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories