Arizona completes road sweep

Arizona opened up to a quick lead and never looked back as it defeated Washington State. Read on for a complete recap of how it got it done.

Arizona opened up Saturday night's game with Washington State playing well and never relented as it won 79-65 at Washington State.

Kaleb Tarczewski hit two from the line to open up the scoring, but Royce Woolridge came back and scored. A D.J. Shelton three-pointer was matched by a three from Solomon Hill. Brock Motum and Mark Lyons then exchanged baskets before Tarczewski and Kevin Parrom scored consecutive buckets. A jumper by DaVonte Lacy then cut Arizona's lead to 11-9 with under 15 minutes to go in the first half.

Out of a timeout, Lyons hit a three-pointer and a layup to force the Cougars to call timeout down seven. After a score off an offensive rebound by Hill, Motum made one of two free-throws to cut Arizona's lead to eight. A three-pointer by Hill extended the lead to 21-10 before Kevin Parrom was ejected for a blow to the opponent's face.

Lacy made one of the two ensuing free-throws, but Wazzu was called for an intentional foul and Brandon Ashley made two free-throws. Hill followed with a three from the corner to put Arizona up 26-12 with about ten minutes left in the first half before Motum made a layup. The Cougars added two free-throws from Bryce Leavitt to cut Arizona's lead to ten with about eight minutes left.

After a Motum layup, Ashley was able to match it down the middle of the lane. Hill then nailed his fourth three of the game to put the Wildcats up 13, but Motum cut into it with two free-throws. However, Grant Jerrett made a three-pointer to force a WSU timeout, down 14 with 3:22 left. Out of the timeout, Hill made another three-pointer.

Wooldridge came back with a three-pointer and after a three by Shelton, Hill made a three quarter court shot at the halftime buzzer to put the Wildcats up 40-26.

Motum scored to start the second half, but Ashley matched him shortly after. Woolridge proceeded to make two free-throws before Tarczewski made a hook shot in the lane. Woolridge then scored again in the lane, but Ashley matched it again and Arizona led 46-32 with about 18 minutes left in the second half.

Ashley proceeded to make a jumper in the lane before Shelton made two free-throws. Mike Ladd scored on a dunk soon after, but Tarczewski scored the next time down court. Motum and Nick Johnson exchanged buckets before Gabe York drilled a three and Jerrett scored on an offensive rebound to give the Wildcats a 57-38 lead with about 12 minutes left.

After a layup by Motum, Woolridge made two free-throws to bring the Cougars within 15. However, Jordin Mayes nailed a three-pointer in response. After a bucket by Wazzu, Woolridge added a three-pointer to bring Arizona's lead to 11, but a Lyons layup brought it back to 13. Junior Longrus scored in the paint to come within 11, but Lyons made two free-throws soon after.

A three-pointer by Shelton cut the Arizona lead to ten before Tarczewski made two free-throws. A three-pointer by Lyons extended the lead to 13 and then he came up with a steal and a layup to make it a 15-point game with about three minutes left.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories