Big second half leads to Arizona win

Arizona was able to defeat Stanford 73-66 on Wednesday night. Read on for a complete recap of how the Wildcats got it done.

Once again, Arizona did not make it easy, but the Wildcats were able to beat the Cardinal 73-66 on Wednesday night at McKale.

Josh Huestis started the game was a basket and Aaron Bright followed with one of his own and two consecutive three-pointers to put Stanford up 10-0 before a Mark Lyons layup made it 10-2 with 15:56 left in the first half.

Kevin Parrom hit a three out of a timeout, but Huestis came back and scored a two. After a Solomon Hill bucket, Chasson Randle made two free-throws and Lyons proceeded to make a three-pointer. Angelo Chol then scored on the offensive glass, but Bright hit another three. Lyons was able to hit a jumper, but a three-pointer by Justin Gage put Stanford up 20-14 with about 11 minutes left.

Ashley brought Arizona within three after a three-point play, but Stanford got it back with two free-throws from Dwight Powell and one from Randle. Shortly after, Ashley made two free-throws and Powell matched it with two of his own. Nick Johnson then scored his first points of the night to bring Arizona within 25-20 with 3:33 left in the half.

Powell proceeded to score before Solomon Hill made one of two from the line. A Lyons three-pointer was followed by a steal and layup by Jordin Mayes that put Arizona within 27-26 at the half.

About a minute into the half, Powell picked up a three-point play to extend Stanford's lead to four. Hill answered with a jumper, but Powell scored coming out of a timeout. Hill then responded with a three-pointer to put the UA within one, but a Huestis dunk extended the lead back to three. Kaleb Tarczewski made one of two from the line and Powell did the same to keep Stanford up 35-32 with 15:50 left in the half.

Lyons was able to make two free-throws before Craft hit a jumper the next time down court. Lyons then found Ashley for a dunk and made a layup soon after to give the Wildcats a 38-37 lead with about 14 minutes remaining. The lead did not last long, however, as Powell hit a jumper the next time down court.

A bucket by Randle gave Stanford its three-point lead back and Rosco Allen's first point extended that lead to five with about 12 minutes left. A jumper by Hill made it 43-40 in favor of Stanford and a steal by Lyons once again put Arizona within one. After a layup by Powell, Lyons was fouled and once again had the Wildcats within one.

Hill got to the line and made one of two to tie the game at 45 with about ten minutes left. A layup by Lyons a few minutes later gave Arizona the two-point lead, but Powell scored the next trip down court. Chol scored his second basket of the night, but a three by Randle put the Cardinal up 50-49 with seven minutes left in the half.

Two free-throws by Powell put Arizona up three and a jumper by Huestis made it 54-49 with over five minutes left. A three-pointer by Hill brought the Wildcats within two before two free-throws tied the game with 4:44 left.

A pass from Lyons to Chol gave Arizona the lead back before Johnson found Lyons and the Wildcats went up four. Bright made a three out of a timeout to put Stanford within one, but Lyons responded with one of his own the next time down court to put Arizona up 61-57 with 2:35 left.

Hill made a jumper out of a timeout to give the Wildcats its biggest lead of the game and after two free-throws by Huestis, Parrom made a three from the corner to put Arizona up 65-59 with 1:25 left. The next time down court, Powell was able to get to the line and made two free-throws to bring Stanford to within four.

Hill then came up with a dunk and 20 second later hit two from the line as Arizona led 69-61 with 47 seconds left. Stanford stayed in it with a three by Randle, but Arizona was able to seal the game at the free-throw line.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories