Arizona got its first win of the season in a 31-21 victory over Grambling State Here is a closer look at what happened:
* With Arizona starting quarterback Anu Solomon not dressed for the game, sophomore Brandon Dawkins got the nod under center. It was a rocky first start of his career, but he eventually got things going. Things started to change when he broke loose a 42-yard run on a zone read midway through the second quarter. Dawkins finished the game 15-29 for 223 yards and a touchdown through the air. He also rushed 16 times times for 97 yards and two scores.
* Arizona was also able to run the ball effectively with Nick Wilson. The junior running back carried the ball 24 times for 116 yards and got into the end zone once. Arizona was also able to get Orlando Bradford some touches in the win as well. The sophomore ran the ball four times for 15 yards.
* On the other side of the ball, Grambling State got a terrific performance from Ole Miss transfer Devante Kincade in the first half before he was forced to leave with an injury. The signal caller was 15-19 for 193 yards and two touchdowns before leaving with a leg injury. His backup, Trevon Cherry had initial success that faded as the game went on. He finished 16-25 for 209 yards, but threw two interceptions and no touchdowns.
* One knock on the defense after the season opener was that there weren't any turnovers, but the Wildcats were able to remedy that against Grambling State. Senior linebacker Cody Ippolito recovered two fumbles in the game while Jarvis McCall, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, and Jace Whittaker intercepted passes. Jake Matthews also recovered a fumble for Arizona. Late in the game, Ippolito was also credited with Arizona's first targeting call of the season on a late hit on the quarterback. By rule, he will miss the first half of the game against Hawai'i.
* The tight ends were also in on the action for the Wildcats as well. Josh Kern caught his second pass in as many games, this one for seven yards. Sophomore Trevor Wood also caught his first career pass early in the fourth quarter.
* Wide Receiver Nate Phillips was sidelined with a shoulder injury, which allowed junior Cameron Denson a chance to get playing time. Denson caught his first career pass in the game, finishing with two. Samajie Grant led Arizona with five catches for 95 yards while Trey Griffey hauled in four passes for 74 yards and a touchdown.
* Arizona's win is the 29th consecutive victory for the Wildcats in home openers. The last time Arizona opened the home season with a loss was in 1987 when Iowa left Tucson with a 15-14 road win.