Arizona could not get it done on Saturday afternoon, losing 48-14 to USC and falling to 2-5 on the season. Here's a closer look at what happened:
The results were not as most would have hoped. Tate struggled for most of the day, completing just seven of 18 passes for 58 yards and an interception.
The quarterback was the team's leading rusher, carrying the ball 14 times for 72 yards and a touchdown. Tate also fumbled early in the game and set up an easy USC score.
* Tate was replaced in the second half by former quarterback turned tight end Matt Morin. Seeing his first quarterback action in years, Morin did an admirable job, completing four of eight passes for 84 yards and a touchdown to Samajie Grant. He did throw an interception on the last play of the game, but was otherwise serviceable at quarterback.
* The injury bug continues to hit Arizona as running back Nick Wilson returned from his ankle injury just in time to leave the game with a knee injury.
The oft injured junior was only able to carry the ball six times for 47 yards, including a big 39-yarder before leaving the game. He was replaced by Zach Green, who carried the ball 14 times for 46 yards.
Jace Whittaker continues to show improvement at corner as he broke up two passes on the day, played solid coverage. and finished with two tackles.
* USC's fourth touchdown of the day ended a little differently than normal. The Trojans mishandled the snap and it was fumbled into Michael Barton's hands.
He promptly returned it the length of the field for a two-point conversion. However, Arizona was whistled for a personal foul on the play and the play was called off with neither team receiving points.
* A bright spot for Arizona may have come from the special teams. Coming into the game, Adoree Jackson was the nation's top punt returner averaging 18.7 yards per return. The Wildcats used a combination of coverage and kicking away from him to hold him to just three total yards on two returns.
* Early in the second quarter, Arizona went for the score on fourth and goal from the one yard line and was unable to punch it in. It was the second time this season that the Wildcats were unsuccessful in scoring from one yard out.null