Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
* Tyrell Johnson had some fumbling issues at running back and Rich Rodriguez has a slight concern about those same issues with Samajie Grant.
“I think it is a concern with anybody who hasn’t carried a ball in game action, whether it is a guy moving over there or a guy who hasn’t been a starter,” Rodriguez said.
“You don’t go live in practice that much, so you worry about it a little bit. Coach Magee does a good job of teaching fundamentals and guys have to be conscious of how they hold the ball.”
* With Grant moving to running back, Cedric Peterson is in line for more playing time.
“I have always considered him part of the rotation,” Rodriguez said. “His experience now shows us he will know what he is doing. We thought all along he was part of the rotation and he has done a good job. He works hard and he is a talented guy.”
* Much has been made about stealing signs the past week due to the interaction between Todd Graham and Mike Leach, but Rodriguez somewhat downplayed the issue overall.
“We have multiple guys signaling,” he said. “Our signals aren’t that complicated, but we change up who the live guy is. Through 30 years of doing this, we have always been conscious of it.
“Some teams work on trying to get it more than others. We try too. We try to see what they are signaling and if we can figure it out, but that’s pretty hard.”
* Special teams have suffered this season and there could be some personnel changes coming.
“Normally the way we have always done it is we will have some starters on special teams, but most of our starting special teams units are second team guys,” Rodriguez said. “Guys that will be on the travel squad that maybe aren’t playing 60 or 70 plays.
“It’s always worked pretty well that way, but when you get banged up and move those guys up, who’s next? That’s part of the issue we have had and what we’re working on now.
* Anu Solomon is back at full strength, thus Rodriguez believes he has at least two quarterbacks capable of winning with.
“I think everybody puts too much into who the starter is when I said all along I thought we had co-starters,” Rodriguez said. “Brandon went in there and played pretty well. I think we have two starters. We’ve missed them because of their experience and it looks like now we will have both of them.”
* That leaves some to wonder about the fate of freshman Khalil Tate for the remainder of the season.
“Now that we have burned his redshirt, we still want to give him reps,” Rodriguez said. “We’re still giving him reps and running some plays with him.
“He won’t run the entire offense, but he didn’t run the offense before. We’re going to keep him in tune so he’s learning and not just playing one or two games in his mind his freshman year.”