Huskies win late

Deja-Vu all over again. Arizona lost to Washington 31-28 on a last second run by Husky quarterback Cody Picket. In a game eerily reminiscent of last year's contest, the Huskies once again pulled out a late comeback against an upstart Wildcat team. Despite a separated shoulder, Picket threw for 450 yards and, more importantly, surged for the winning score with 13 seconds to play.

Poor special teams play set up both of Washington's fourth quarter scores. A 70-yard kickoff return set up a field goal and a short punt led to the Huskies game winning drive on their own 45-yard line.

The Huskies survived five turnovers, including four interceptions.

Even with starting quarterback Jason Johnson on the bench with a concussion, Arizona managed over 200 yards rushing against the vaunted Husky defense. Arizona coaches made the shrewd decision of swapping guard Reggie Sampay and center Steven Grace on the offensive line. Clarence Farmer pounded out the yards.

The first quarter proved to be an offensive exhibition. The Huskies took the opening kickoff and methodically drove down the field on the Cats. On the drive's twelfth play Pickett found Todd Ehlstrom wide open in the back of the end zone for a 21-yard touchdown strike.

The Cats answered right back with a successful drive of their own. The Cats mixed run and pass, using Leo Mills in place of regular starter Clarence Farmer. The Cats found the score board when Bobby Wade stretched for a pass in the back of the end zone.

After their first methodical drive, the Huskies decided to go for a quick strike on their next two possessions. Picket found wide receiver Paul Arnold across the middle and the converted tailback raced 78-yards for the score. On their next drive, Patrick Redick race behind the Arizona defenders and Picket lofted a long pass to the oft-injured receiver for a 75-yards score.

In between Washington bombs, the Cats marched down the field. This time Johnson threw a perfect strike to Andrae Thurman in the corner of the end zone to tie the game at 14.

Both teams cooled off in the second quarter. The Wildcats suffered a blow when Johnson left the game after a hard hit to the head. John Rattay failed to move the club for a score, although he had a few nice plays, including a "Hail Mary" pass that was caught inside the Husky five yard line just before being turned over as time expired.

After punting on the first series, the Cats got the ball right back when two Huskies collided allowing Gary Love to recover the fumbled punt return. On the next play Rattay kept the ball and raced down the sideline for a 16-yard score, to tie the game at 21.

Neither team could score in the third quarter, due in large part to turnovers.

The Cats defense did it again. With the Huskies once again in Wildcat territory, Alex Luna deflected a Pickett pass which Ray Wells gathered in and returned to the Husky forty. Two long Farmer runs got the Cats to the Husky 15, but Rattay and Farmer collided and the Huskies scooped up the loose ball at their own 15-yard line.

Chatman did it again, intercepting Pickett for the second time, once again giving Arizona the ball inside of Washington territory. This time the Cats' capitalized. Starting at the 39 the Cats did nothing but run, but despite playing conservative, they played effectively. Farmer capped the possession with a 16-yard burst up the middle to give the Cats their first lead 28-21.

The Huskies rebounded, taking the kick off 70 yards to the Wildcat 15. The Cats played "swarm-like" defense on first down, snuffing the option for a loss of ten yards. Two straight deflections, one by Jolivette and one by Eli Wnek forced the Huskies to settle for the field goal and Wildcats maintained a 28-24 lead.

After a short punt, the Huskies took possession at their own 45-yard line. On first down Picket found Ehlstrom at the Wildcat 35. Two plays later he threaded the needle to Redick and the Huskies had the ball at the Wildcat three. A delay of game penalty knocked the Dawgs back to the nine and on the next play Michael Jolivette deflected a pass in the endzone, that appeared to be interceptable. Picket got the job done two plays later. After being flushed from the end zone, Picket kept the ball and barely squeezed in for a score and the Huskies had a 31-28 lead.

The Cats took the ensuing kick off to the 45 yard line. Rattay missed an open Malosi Leonard on first down and Ben Mandavi sacked Arizona's back-up quarterback to end the game.

Wildcat Authority Top Stories