Lee's Summit (MO) West defender Nick Ramirez (6-2, 230) not only looks like a middle linebacker, but sounds like one.
Asked to assess his strengths earlier this week, he didn't disappoint.
"I'm a head hunter," Ramirez said. "I love to hit, I love contact. I can't get enough of it. I think I am fast and able to cover side to side and also feel like I am a good pre-reader of the play and good about getting to the the guy with the ball and inflicting damage."
Ramirez – who will be a 2012 mid-term graduate and attended the Razorbacks' win over South Carolina last season - is one of 20 or so prospects due in this Saturday for Arkansas' Junior Day.
He is coming off a junior season in which he had 120 tackles.
Ramirez has already been to Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska and will follow up the Arkansas trip with ones during his spring break to Purdue and Northwestern.
All of those schools have offered - as well as Kansas State - except for Arkansas, who he hopes will put one on the table for him this weekend.
"When I came for the Arkansas-South Carolina game, I just immediately fell in love with Arkansas' program," Ramirez said. "I loved the atmosphere, the players and the coaches and all the support the fans give the program.
"They also have great facilities and they are going to get even better with the ones they are building," Ramirez said. "And it goes without saying they are one of the best programs in the country. I would love to be a part of that."
Ramirez, who is looking to study criminal justice or business in college, plans to make a decision sooner than later.
"I may take a few official visits or I may make a decision before my senior season starts," Ramirez said. "I am very blessed to being making all these visits and learning a lot about each of these programs. I think I am getting some very good information about all of them."
Ramirez is also working on improving his speed, which is 4.57 in the 40-yard dash right now.
He runs the 100 meter dash and the 200 in track.
"I really want to work hard and improve my speed," Ramirez said. "I think it is good now, but I want it to be great. I am also working with a personal trainer and just trying to become the best football player I can be."
• Eric Beisel , MLB, 6-3, 235, Fenton (MO) Rockwood Summit
• Zach Benjamin, WR, 6-5, 182, Tampa (Fla.) Catholic
• Austin Bennett, WR, 6-0, 170, Manvel, Texas
• Kaleb Blanchard, TB, 6-1, 200, Denham Springs, La.
• Bryton Booher, OT, 6-8, 275, Conway
• Dylan Cantrell, WR, 6-2, 195, Whitehouse, Texas
• Cameron Dillard, OT, 6-3, 280, Canton (MI) Plymouth Canton
• Ezekiel Elliott, TB, 6-0, 195, St. Louis John Burroughs
•Connor Feist, QB, 6-2, 180, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek
• C.J. Gooden, LB, 6-1, 205, Ashdown
• Richard Lagow, QB, 6-6, 218, Plano, Texas
• Stockton Mallett, OL, 6-3, 305, Yellville-Summit
• Christian Morgan, TE, 6-4, 244, Plano (Texas) Prestonwood Christian
• Nick Ramirez, MLB, 6-2, 230, Lee's Summit (Mo.) West
• Jason Reese, WR, 6-3, 195, Euless (Texas) Trinity
• Keree Renchie, LB, 6-3, 215, Missouri City (Texas) Elkins
• Maurice Smith, CB, 6-1, 175, Sugar Land (Texas) Dulles
• Altee Tenpenny, RB, 6-0, 203, North Little Rock
• Dalton Vondra, TE, 6-5, 240, Kennedale, Texas
• Tearris Wallace, RB, 5-10, 185, Bentonville
• Jordan Wilkins, TB, 6-0, 205, Cordova (TN) St Benedict At Auburndale
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Spring Countdown: CBsWith the Razorbacks closing in on spring football, HawgsDaily is breaking down who we believe Arkansas' starters are at all 22 positions. We'll reveal a portion of the starting…
Hawgs Daily5:21 PM
Arkansas 9, Missouri 2Arkansas snapped Missouri's NCAA-best 20-game winning streak Friday.
Hawgs Daily5:13 PM
Spring Countdown: SafetiesWith the Razorbacks closing in on spring football, HawgsDaily is breaking down who we believe Arkansas' starters are at all 22 positions. We'll reveal a portion of the starting…
Hawgs DailyYesterday at 1:22 PM
New assistants have questions to answerArkansas has almost an entirely new defensive coaching staff. It will be tasked with answering several questions this spring.
Hawgs DailyYesterday at 1:06 PM