Pittman's Quest For Success
While doing interviews after football practice on Tuesday, I heard Arkansas offensive line coach Sam Pittman sum up recruiting fairly simply.
"The reason you recruit guys is obviously you are trying to recruit better than what you have," Pittman said. "If you did, we will be better than we are right now – and if not then we will have better days down the line."
Pittman has arguably brought the Razorbacks as much talent and bona fide studs as any assistant coach in his first two recruiting classes at the school.
You can reel off names like Dan Skipper and Denver Kirkland – who started as true freshman – and he also landed Frank Ragnow, Sebastian Tretola and Brian Wallace in the 2014 class.
It wouldn't be beyond the realm of expectation to see those five guys on the same line at sometime during the next season with no one really putting a lock down on either the center or left guard spots.
"Obviously we recruited Frank to play center and we recruited Tretola to play guard and we recruited Wallace because he is really good," Pittman said. "Obviously he is a tackle, but in my career just like with Dan, you have got to play your best five wherever that happens to be.
"We have 30 practices and then there is summer skills to go through and hopefully we will figure it out," Pittman added.
Pittman will be working the sidelines as Arkansas finishes up spring practice on Saturday with their Red-White game at 1 p.m. at Razorback Stadium.
Arkansas will have several of its 2014 signees and 2015 prospects on hand for Saturday's event dubbed Razorfest, which starts at 10 a.m.
He will be looking for more competitive players such as Skipper, who has been consistently involved in skirmishes before and after the whistle this spring.
"It could have been tiddlywinks and Dan would have gone over there looking to fight someone," Pittman said. "That's just how he is."
Some of the 2014 signees due in this weekend include 2014 signees Wallace and Armon Watts of St, Louis, Mo., Christian Brothers, Argyle, Texas, kicker Cole Hedlund, El Dorado defensive tackle Bijhon Jackson, defensive ends Jake Hall of Springdale Har-Ber and Anthony Brown of Miami, Shreveport, La., Evangel defensive back Santos Ramirez, the Metairie, La., Archbishop Rummel pair of linebacker Dwayne Eugene and Henre' Toliver and Dallas Bishop Dunne offensive lineman Jovan Pruitt.
Another 2014 Razorback signees slated to be on hand is wide receiver JoJo Robinson, who was arrested for armed robbery on Thursday, but - according to his dad Joseph - charges are expected to be dropped because he was involved and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Some 2015 prospects expected are a trio of Arkansas commits in quarterback Ty Storey of Charleston, center Zach Rogers of Hebron, Texas and tight end Austin Cantrell of Roland, Okla., while Bentonville 2016 quarterback Kasey Ford is also is expected to attend.
Some top uncommitted 2015 prospects coming from the Red-White game are Pine Bluff tight end Will Gragg, Fayetteville tight end C.J. O'Grady, Fayetteville safety Dre Greenlaw, the Highland duo of wideout Deon Stewart and safety Avery Johnson, Rockwall, Texas tailback Chris Warren, safety Will Sunderland of Midwest City, Okla., Shreveport Evangel offensive tackle Jerry Tillery and Little Rock Catholic defensive end Luc Bequette.
A few more 2015 prospects who have said they will be in Fayetteville Saturday are Newport linebacker Khairan Stafford, the Bryant offensive line pair of junior Cameron Davis and sophomore Cameron Murray, Nettleton safety Jaylin Small, Maumelle defensive back Nick Ingram and the Coppell, Texas, pair of center Connor Williams and tailback Charles West.
North Little Rock wideout K.J. Hill took an unofficial visit to Arkansas on Tuesday because he is playing AAU basketball this weekend in Sacramento, Calif.
• • •
Red-White Game Visitors
• Anthony Brown, DE-LB, 6-4, 230, Miami, Fla., Killian
• Dwayne Eugene, LB, 6-3, 215, Metairie, La., Archbishop Rummel
• Jake Hall, DE, 6-5, 250, Springdale Har-Ber
• Cole Hedlund, K, 5-10, 170, Argyle, Texas
• Bijhon Jackson, DT, 6-2, 320, El Dorado
• Jovan Pruitt, OL, 6-6, 295, Dallas, Texas, Bishop Dunne
• JoJo Robinson, WR, 6-0, 170, Miami, Fla., Northwestern
• Santos Ramirez, S, 6-1, 180, Shreveport, La., Evangel
• Henre' Toliver, CB, 6-1, 180, Metairie, La., Archbishop Rummel
• Brian Wallace, OL, 6-6, 300, St. Louis, Mo., Christian Brothers
• Armon Watts, DT, 6-5, 250, St. Louis, Missouri, Christian Brothers
• • •
2015 Arkansas Commits
• Austin Cantrell, TE, 6-3, 249, Roland, Okla.
• Zach Rogers, C, 6-4, 295, Hebron, Texas
• Ty Storey, QB, 6-3, 222 Charleston
• • •
Other 2015 Prospects:
• Luc Bequette, DT, 6-2, 275, Little Rock Catholic
• Cameron Davis, OL, 6-4, 260, Bryant
• Will Gragg, TE, 6-4, 245, Pine Bluff
• Dre Greenlaw, S, 6-1, 220, Fayetteville
• Nick Ingram, DB, 5-11, 170, Maumelle
• Avery Johnson, S, 6-2, 210, Highland
• C.J. O'Grady, TE, 6-5, 230, Fayetteville
• Jaylin Small, S, 6-0, 180, Nettleton
• Khairan Stafford, MLB, 6-2, 235, Newport
• Deon Stewart, WR, 6-1, 165, Highland
• Will Sunderland, S, 6-2, 190, Midwest City, Okla.
• Jerry Tillery, OL, 6-6, 320, Shreveport, La. Evangel
• Chris Warren, TB, 6-2, 220, Rockwall, Texas
• Charles West, TB, 5-9, 175, Coppell, Texas
• Connor Williams, C, 6-4, 255, Coppell, Texas
• • •
• Kasey Ford, QB, 6-5, 230, Bentonville
• Cameron Murray, DL, 6-3, 285, Bryant
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Arkansas On Game Days | Tailgate TravelsAs much fun as it is being at an Arkansas football game, the pregame can be just as enjoyable, especially if you have an RV. Head out to Fayetteville to see what makes the…
Scout CFBFriday at 9:20 AM
Cats Picked To Win SEC CrownThe voters at SEC Media Days are convinced: Kentucky has reloaded.
AllWildcatsWednesday at 10:13 AM
Scout 2017 Rankings DirectoryThe Scout positional, state, regional, national and team rankings for the Class of 2017...
Scout FootballYesterday at 7:00 AM
"They Are Playing Really Good Football"Arkansas Coaches Bret Bielema and Dan Enos talk about facing Auburn this weekend and the challenges that presents for the Razorbacks.
Inside The AU TigersWednesday at 9:26 AM