Deontre Hardwick has a knack for making plays on Fort Smith Northside’s defense.
The four-star linebacker had a 75-yard fumble return for a touchdown in the Grizzlies’ 42-17 win over Greenwood last week. He nearly had a long blocked field goal return for a touchdown against Fayetteville on Friday, but he was dragged down at the 14-yard line.
“I slowed down to try to stiff-arm the kid, but he got me,” Hardwick said. “(Those plays) just happen. Wherever the ball is at, I’m trying to be there.”
Northside did not capitalize on the field position Hardwick gave it, but the Grizzlies were able to knock off No. 1 Fayetteville 27-24. They sealed the win with an interception in the Bulldogs’ end zone with 28 seconds remaining.
“We got out what we put in,” Hardwick said. “We put in work the second half and we came out with a W. Everyone played their assignments how they were supposed to. The scoreboard shows it.”
Hardwick is rated as the No. 3 middle linebacker in the country for the Class of 2016.
Here is a look at how other Arkansas commits and recruits did Friday.
• Arkansas QB pledge Ty Storey of Charleston was 34-of-49 for 378 yards and 5 touchdowns – all season-highs - with one interception as his team ripped Danville 50-21.
• Arkansas tailback commit Rawleigh Williams had 27 carries for 146 yards, and 2 catches, 28 yards – with a 30-yard TD run, 28-yard TD catch in a 45-36 loss to Midland Christian.
• Razorback WR pledge K.J. Hill of North Little Rock had 162 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns as his team routed Cabot 41-14.
• Dumas tight end Will Gragg – who committed to the Razorbacks earlier this week – was held to 3 catches for 7 yards in his team's 44-0 loss to Pine Bluff Dollarway.
• Fayetteville tight end and Arkansas commit C.J. O'Grady had 2 catches for 51 yards in his team's 27-24 loss to Fort Smith Northside.
• Razorback WR pledge Deon Stewart of Highland had 4 catches for 134 yards and a score his his squad's 55-33 win over Jonesboro Westside.
• Arkansas DE commit Jamario Bell had 8 tackles – 5 of them which were sacks in the first half – as his Junction City squad routed Hermitage 68-8 and held the Hermits to just 105 yards of total offense.
• Nashville WR-S LaMichael Pettway had three touchdowns – 2 on interception returns and another on a 36-yard touchdown catch – as his Scrappers beat Arkadelphis 28-21.
• The Woodlands tailback Patrick Carr had 124 yards on 10 carries with a 66-yard TD dash on the first play of the second half in a 51-3 win over Conroe.
• Greensboro, N.C. Southern Guilford tailback Reggie Gallaspy had 41 carries for 203 yards and had three touchdowns in a 27-9 win over North Forsythe.
• Pulaski Robinson junior athlete T.J. Hammonds had 10 carries for 113 yards and his senior teammate Hakeem Aldridge 14 carries for 89 yards and 4 touchdowns as the Senators downed Arkansas Baptist 49-14.
• Arkansas offensive line Colton Jackson helped Conway rush for 304 yards and Wampus Cat junior quarterback Breylin Smith completed 5-of-12 passes for 112 yards and one touchdown in their team's 45-10 win over Siloam Springs
• Fayetteville sophomore quarterback Taylor Powell was 19-of-31 for 2 touchdowns with 2 interceptions in the 27-24 loss to Fort Smith Northside.
• Bentonville junior WR-DB Tyrone Mahone had a 15-yard touchdown catch in his team's 10-7 loss to Fort Smith Southside.
• Independence, Mo., Fort Osage junior QB Skylar Thompson was 9-of-14 passing for 127 yards and also had a rushing touchdown in a 49-14 win over Chrisman.
• Bastrop, La., junior WR Isaiah Graham- whose first offer was from Arkansas – had 9 catches for 154 yards and three touchdowns.
Hardwick Has Nose for the Ball
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Longhorns Preview Oklahoma StateTexas offensive players discuss the Longhorns' upcoming game at Oklahoma State to kickoff Big 12 Conference play.
Horns DigestMonday at 6:21 PM
Louisiana CB 'Real Close' to a DecisionIt may not be too long before one of the top cornerbacks in Louisiana makes his decision. Four schools are high on his list and you can get the latest here...
Scout FootballMonday at 6:15 AM
JC defensive back talks ISU official visitOver the weekend, Iowa State played host to one of their top 2017 targets in the current recruiting cycle in Paramount, CA three-star JUCO CB Keisean Nixon. This visit for the…
AllCyclonesSunday at 6:34 PM
TCU vs Iowa State primerAfter falling in double-overtime to Arkansas, TCU looks to get back to their winning ways against Iowa State.
Horned Frog Insider09/15/2016
The Ultimate Midlands TeamThere is a lot of talent in the Midlands region, with a vast majority of the highest rated recruits playing high school football in the Lone Star State. Which prospects made the…