USA TODAY Sports

Arkansas losing player to transfer

A second player is transferring out of the Arkansas basketball program.

ROGERS -- Brachen Hazen asked for and received a release to transfer from Arkansas last week, head coach Mike Anderson announced Monday.

A three-star forward coming out of Fort Wayne (Ind.) Columbia City, Hazen played sparingly as a freshman last season. He appeared in only 14 games, playing a total of 42 minutes and shooting 1 of 6 from the floor.

That limited playing time was likely the biggest factor in his decision to transfer.

"You don't want to lose a guy, especially a guy like Brachen," Anderson said at his annual charity golf tournament. "I think his upside, his potential is big. It was just this year, with some guys that were playing well in front of him ... They were competing for playing time.

"I thought next year it would get a lot better for him. With a guy who's a skilled forward like Brachen, it was just a matter of him maturing."

Hazen is the second player to transfer this offseason. He joins walk-on R.J. Glasper, who transferred to Arkansas Tech after sitting out last season while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Unlike the departure of Glasper, the loss of Hazen opens up another scholarship for the 2017 class. The Razorbacks have already signed three in-state high school signees - Daniel Gafford, Khalil Garland and Darious Hall - and added Jalen Harris, a transfer from New Mexico.

"My staff and I are daily seeking and trying to find some guys that can have an impact," Anderson said. "The one thing you don't want to do is bring somebody in here and all of a sudden it's the same thing.

"It's like a revolving door. They come here and they leave out. So if it's going to be someone, it's gong to be the right person."


Hawgs Daily Top Stories