The University of Arkansas is expecting some 50 high school juniors, junior college prospects and even a signee and recruited walk on or two to show up for its Red-White football game on Saturday.
"This will be a big day for us Saturday," UA recruiting coordinator Chris Vaughn said. "We should have around 50 juniors here and could have a lot more than that."
There would have been several more if not for the ACT testing that is going on on Saturday.
"It's an ACT test day or we might have a lot more," Vaughn said. "Mostly, it will be in-state kids, but we've heard from a lot of out-of-state players that are coming and expect to hear from some more Friday."
Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College safety Randy Kelly, a 2004 Razorback signee, will be on hand along with recruited walk ons Alan Price of Marked Tree and Mike Forbush of Sheridan.
It is the second junior day Arkansas has had this year with the other coming back on Feb. 28 when the football prospects got a chance to see the Razorbacks' basketball game with Florida.
"Anytime you can get juniors to your campus, you are excited. This is our second junior day. We had a few that came for our first one. We had that for a basketball game so they could get a taste of the atmosphere. And we've done this for our Red-White game and it's been very successful over the past few years."
o o o
Some of the top junior football prospects that plan on being at Arkansas' Red-White game Saturday at noon in Fayetteville are:
• Darren McFadden RB (6-1, 185, 4.4) Pulaski Oak Grove
• Kevin Thornton FS (6-1, 190, 4.5) Little Rock Central
• Antwain Robinson DE-LB (6-3, 220, 4.7) Little Rock Central
• Charles Alexander DE (6-2, 245, 4.9) Little Rock Central
• Mickey Dean RB (5-10, 180. 4.5) Little Rock Central
• Stewart Franks WR (6-2, 190, 4.5) Little Rock Central
• Clark Irwin QB (5-11, 170) Little Rock Central
• Cord Gray DL (6-2, 270, 5.03) Wynne
• Ben Owens, Jr. LB-FB (6-2, 205, 4.6) Bearden
• David Hollis DL (6-1, 285, 5.1) Bryant
• Josh Allen OL-DL (6-6, 350, 5.8) Sheridan
• Trevor Gillott WR-S (6-3, 205, 4.74) Pulaksi Academy
• Fred Leak RB-DB (6-1, 170, 4.6) Palestine-Wheatley
• Kameron Mohammed OL-DLM (6-4, 340, 5.2) Hot Springs
• Brandon Payne WR (6-1, 170, 4.7) El Dorado
• Chris Smith WR (6-1, 175, 4.6) Blytheville
• Matt Taylor OLB (6-3, 205, 4.7) Springdale
• Clayton Ford QB-WR (6-2, 185, 4.6) Pulaski Robinson
Out of State
• Richard Braem RB-FS (5-11, 170, 4.7) Greenville, Ky.
• Durrell Charles RB (5-9, 190, 4.5) Houston Westfield
• Robby Hamilton OLM (6-3, 245, 4.87) Missouri City, Texas
• Matt Harris S (6-3, 195, 4.7) Richardson, Texas
• Ben Ladner TE (6-3, 240, 4.65) Kansas City Pembroke
• Andy Lozano OL-DL (6-4, 280, 5.3) St. Charles, Mo.
• John Medina RB-DB (5-11, 185, 4.6) Garland, Texas
• Chris Mitchell LB (5-10, 210, 4.5) Houston Westfield
• Craig Roark OL-DT (6-3, 265, 5.3) Ada, Okla.
• Chris Webb QB (6-2, 205, 4.9) Corinth, Texas
Junior College Prospect:
Joe Casey RB (6-2, 205, 4.5) Coffeyville (Kan.) CC
UA excited about second 2004 Junior Day
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Scout On the Road: SeptemberScout takes a look at some of the top prospects we saw in person during the month of September...
Scout FootballWednesday at 2:00 PM
Longhorns Preview Oklahoma StateTexas offensive players discuss the Longhorns' upcoming game at Oklahoma State to kickoff Big 12 Conference play.
Horns DigestMonday at 6:21 PM
Louisiana CB 'Real Close' to a DecisionIt may not be too long before one of the top cornerbacks in Louisiana makes his decision. Four schools are high on his list and you can get the latest here...
Scout FootballMonday at 6:15 AM
JC defensive back talks ISU official visitOver the weekend, Iowa State played host to one of their top 2017 targets in the current recruiting cycle in Paramount, CA three-star JUCO CB Keisean Nixon. This visit for the…
AllCyclonesSunday at 6:34 PM