Hogs-'Horns And Pass Is Comin'

FAYETTEVILLE -- With 1 minute, 27 seconds left in the 1964 Arkansas-Texas football game in Austin, the Longhorns had just scored to pull within 14-13 and awaited coach Darrell Royal's call on a two-point conversion attempt.

On the visitors' sideline, Arkansas coach Frank Broyles told defensive coordinator Jim Mackenzie, "We're not going to call a defense until Darrell gets through substituting."

They didn't and the Razorbacks held on en route to their only national championship.

Two years earlier, Arkansas had led Texas 3-0 into the final minute before Texas tailback Tommy "T-Bird" Ford scored on third down from four yards out to rescue a 7-3 UT win.

"In 1962, Texas changed its personnel before the third-and-goal play and we got caught in the wrong defense," Broyles said. "We yelled to (linebacker) Ronnie Caveness to change it, but could never get his attention. So I wasn't going to let that happen again."

This time, as soon as Royal substituted Hix Green for power-running Ernie Koy, Broyles knew Texas had called a pass for its two-point try.

Caveness, a senior in 1964 who had made 25 tackles that night, said, "I couldn't believe we called a pass defense on the goal-line. The middle was wide open. But it was the perfect call."

Arkansas sent its defensive ends, Jim Finch and Bobby Roper, after Texas quarterback Marvin Kristynik, who had to rush his throw toward Green in the flat.

"Arkansas out-coached us," Royal said. "Their end (Finch) got there before our guard was ready for him."

Said Finch: "I put as much pressure on their quarterback as I could, and Roper was doing the same thing on the other side. It just so happened the play came my way."

Green was open briefly as he neared the goal-line, but Finch said, "Luckily, the pass was a little short."

Upstairs in the Arkansas radio booth, Bob Cheyne conveyed the good news over 100 stations, while his spotter, Don Wright, whooped and hollered in the background.

"Later, I got a telegram from someone who heard the game from a deer camp in South Dakota," Cheyne said. "And there was a Congressional telephone hook-up at Washington, D.C. I thought, 'My gosh, this is the biggest game we've ever played.'"

Before the kickoff, UA assistant Wilson Matthews reminded the Razorbacks that every kid in Arkansas would have a transistor radio to his ear that night.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a guard/fullback for Arkansas in 1964, got tears in his eyes at the memory.

"Coach Matthews told us those kids would give anything in the world to be playing against the No. 1 team in the country," Jones said.

The Hogs were ready to go.

Loyd Phillips, a sophomore tackle on the '64 team and later an Outland Trophy winner, said, "If Wilson Matthews couldn't fire you up before a game, you didn't have a pulse."

David Alphin of Fayetteville, who grew up in El Dorado, brandished one of those transistor radios Matthews spoke of that night.

"Our Riverside Military Academy football team (from Gainesville, Ga.) had played a rare Saturday night game and won, so everyone was hollering on the bus ride home," Alphin said. "I had my radio to the window, listening to the Arkansas game on 1090 AM out of Little Rock. I told everyone to shut up so I could hear the two-point play."

The Razorbacks, after a disappointing 5-5 season in 1963, had started 1964 modestly with a 14-10 win over Oklahoma State, in which quarterback Freddy Marshall suffered a separated shoulder, and a 31-22 comeback win over Tulsa with Billy Gray filling in for Marshall.

Jim Lindsey, a junior wingback in 1965, said, "We barely beat an Oklahoma State team that got a bowl bid, and Tulsa had 22 first downs to our six. They went to the Bluebonnet Bowl and were 9-2 that year."

Both Arkansas and Texas reached their October game 4-0, but Texas was the defending national champion while the Hogs had stumbled as Southwest Conference favorites in 1963.

And the Longhorns had a serious homefield advantage.

"Texas had 70,000 fans in Austin that night and we had 500," said Hogs tackle Jim Williams.

But what fans didn't know yet was that the Razorbacks had made a commitment after a 14-7 loss to SMU late in the 1963 season.

"On the plane ride home, our juniors walked up to me and said, 'We're embarrassed by the way we've played this year, and we want to practice in pads every day next week. We want to get ready for the 1964 season,'" Broyles recalled this week. "I believe that was the key -- their commitment, their dedication, their heart."

The Razorbacks defeated Texas Tech 27-20 in the 1963 finale to launch a 22-game winning streak.

Ken Hatfield, later UA head coach from 1984-89, jump-started the Hogs against Texas in 1964 with an 81-yard punt return for a touchdown and a 7-0 second-quarter lead.

There's a diagram of the play in the UA Media Guide by Hatfield, who led the nation in punt returns in 1963 and '64.

Lindsey threw the first key block, as usual, and sophomore Harry Jones also picked off a Longhorn.

"I get a block on Kenny's return," Jones said. "All I could see was his back. I was jumping up and down, yelling, 'Run, Kenny, run!'"

The next year, when Jones made the cover of Sports Illustrated, there was a song that sported this line: "Run, Harry, run, you son of a gun."

Hatfield had run all summer in 1964 in Helena with his brother Dick, a UA center, and he recalled, "On my last sprint I would always take a football and imagine I was returning a kickoff 100 yards against Texas."

Dick Hatfield also made a key play after Texas tied the score at 7-all.

With an Arkansas drive stalled at fourth-and-4 in the fourth quarter, he alertly snapped the ball early before Texas could get all its players off the field. The five-yard penalty kept the drive alive, as did a circus catch by Bobby Crockett in UT territory.

Marshall then found Crockett for a 34-yard scoring strike to put Arkansas up 14-7 with 6:43 left.

Texas responded with a 70-yard touchdown drive of its own, but Broyles was glad to see Koy leave the field before the two-point try.

"I knew they were going to pass," Broyles said.

Ironically, Texas made possible its 15-14 win over Arkansas in the 1969 "Game of the Century" when quarterback James Street added a two-point play (on a pre-planned counter option) to his touchdown run that opened the fourth quarter, pulling the 'Horns within 14-8.

Burned by indecision in 1964, Royal had discussed the two-point contingency with Street the night before the 1969 epic.

Jerry Jones, who has since discussed the 1964 game with Royal, said, "He remembered every play."

Phillips remembered getting his lip split by Texas end Pete Lammons on the opening kickoff and "getting knocked on my butt a lot."

More fondly, he remembered Hatfield's punt return.

Broyles, who always chatted with his golf buddy Royal before the game, had worried aloud that Hatfield was hurt.

Beware a wounded Hog.

Gray, Hatfield's high school teammate at Helena and now a UA executive associate athletic director, said about the 1964 Hogs, "As individuals, we weren't great players. But as a team we were great."

Arkansas shut out its last five opponents in 1964 before beating Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl to cap an 11-0 season and two versions of the national championship (Football Writers, Helms Foundation).

"To have five straight shutouts is so unlikely anytime," Broyles said. "It was because of our (14) seniors' commitment to get better in every minute of every practice."

Johnny Majors, then a UA assistant and later a national title-winning coach at Pittsburgh, credited Broyles ("very creative, very imaginative; he thought football most of the time"), and said, "There's never been a better assistant coach than Jim Mackenzie."

Barry Switzer, who coached Arkansas' offensive ends in 1964, said the reason for success was a gambling defense and basic offense.

"We were unpredictable on defense and didn't beat ourselves on offense," he said.

Switzer went on to guide Oklahoma to three national titles, and the Dallas Cowboys to a Super Bowl win.

Jimmy Johnson, a guard on the '64 Razorbacks, coached Miami to a national title and the Cowboys to two Super Bowl victories.

Said Phillips: "When I look back on it, it was just a pleasure to be around those people. And I thank the Lord that I chose the University of Arkansas."

Lindsey recalled that when the Hogs returned to Fayetteville from Austin on two DC-3s in 1964, "fans stormed the plane. We had to get off it. They pushed the stairs up and guys got off and dropped in the arms of fans. It was irrational, really."

Said Roper: "We walked on the top of students."

Mike Nail, longtime voice of the basketball Razorbacks, joined the throng at Drake Field that night.

"There was a huge crowd, and a couple of guys who had celebrated a little too much actually got up on the tower," Nail said. "The planes couldn't make it all the way to the tarmac. The crowd got over the fence. It was crazy. And then, of course, everyone went to Dickson Street. I drove down there and someone tore the antenna off my car."

The 1964 Hogs are having a reunion this weekend, as are the 1969 Hogs and 'Horns.

When Harry Jones' class had a reunion at the 1991 Texas-Arkansas game, which Arkansas won 14-13 in Little Rock, Jones' former teammate, Lee Johnson, told him, "They still can't beat us."

Jones' date that day had a lasting impression.

"I've never seen so many grown men hug each other," she said.

Arkansas 14, Oklahoma State 10, Little Rock
Arkansas 31, Tulsa 22, Fayetteville
Arkansas 29, TCU 6, Fort Worth, Texas
Arkansas 17, Baylor 6, Little Rock
Arkansas 14, Texas 13, Austin, Texas
Arkansas 17, Wichita State 0, Little Rock
Arkansas 17, Texas A&M 0, College Station, Texas
Arkansas 21, Rice 0, Fayetteville
Arkansas 44, SMU 0, Fayetteville
Arkansas 17, Texas Tech 0, Lubbock, Texas
Arkansas 10, Nebraska 7, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas

Hawgs Daily Top Stories