Tubbs Hospitalized With Blood Clot

FAYETTEVILLE -- Arkansas right tackle Zac Tubbs' junior season was derailed in October when he sustained a season-ending ankle injury during an off week practice.

The 6-foot-6, 351-pounder suffered another setback last week.

Arkansas offensive line coach Mike Markuson said Tubbs has been hospitalized at Washington Regional Medical Center for more than a week because of a blood clot that was discovered in his left leg. The Cullman, Ala., native checked into the hospital last Tuesday after complaining of pain and Markuson said, according to Tubbs' father, Kerry, the clot broke off and moved into his lung during treatment.

A hospital spokesperson said Tubbs was in satisfactory condition Tuesday afternoon. Markuson, coach Houston Nutt and trainer Dean Weber all said Tubbs could be released by the end of the week.

"He may have had a clot prior to his injury," Markuson said. "How about that? The thing spread up into his lungs. It broke off. He noticed his toes were really getting blue last week and went to the doctor. They found out he had a clot.

"He's doing better. I saw him (Monday) and he's doing all right. He's still having pain in that chest. Hopefully we'll get him back going. He's not in too good a shape."

Tubbs had surgery last month to correct the broken bone and repair ligament damage in his ankle. He spent two weeks recovering at home in Cullman, but returned to campus and attended a few Arkansas practices on crutches.

"They don't know how long that blood clot had been there," Nutt said. "It might've happened right after surgery. It might've happened when the accident happened. But it's very dangerous and you have to keep an eye on it.

"Doctors are giving him things, keeping a close eye on it. He seems to be doing better and hopefully can go home Thursday, Friday."

Weber said the condition can be life-threatening, but Tubbs has improved under the care of doctors and is taking blood thinners to eliminate the clotting. Weber, who researched the condition, said blood clots aren't uncommon to someone Tubbs' size.

Nutt and Markuson both said they've visited Tubbs in the hospital and have stayed in close contact with his family. Tubbs isn't expected to return to the practice field this spring, but the Hogs are confident he'll be back in uniform next fall.

"That's some sad stuff to think about because he can die from that," said right guard Gene Perry, who started five games alongside Tubbs this season. "That should open up a lot of eyes for a lot of guys.

"I just wish the best for him and wish that things go well for him. Tubbs has been through a lot. He was the backbone of the offensive line at times. We'll just keep praying for him and hope that good things happen for him. More than anything, I'd like to see him back on the field."

Hawgs Daily Top Stories