Arkansas freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain, who has been remarkably poised and candid in answering every last media question this season, finally seemed a bit less enthralled with the process on Tuesday.
To a question about whether the Razorbacks need to pick up their passing game against Ole Miss, Mustain said, "I don't know. I'm not too worried about that. Just do the things we have to do to win."
He wisely downplayed a question about national ranking, saying, "Rankings are nice but we're here to win a conference title."
Asked about Ole Miss, Mustain said, "They're an athletic team and they'll be ready to play, like any other team that wants to knock us off."
Inevitably, Mustain was asked about the quarterback competition between himself and Casey Dick.
"It's the same thing you need to have at every position," Mustain said. "Me and Casey are competing. He's doing a great job of pushing me and I hope I'm doing a good job of pushing him. I know we're both a lot better since the season started."
Someone asked Mustain about his 5-of-13 passing day against Southeast Missouri State.
"That's not my focus," he said. "That's why I'm looking ahead."
Did that game affect his confidence?
"No," Mustain said.
In a TV interview after the SEMO game, Mustain said he had a "down week."
Asked to elaborate Tuesday, Mustain said, "I just didn't concentrate like I should have in practice a few days before that game. But I feel fine."
He also said, "I did what I wanted to do in practice Sunday and (Tuesday) and hopefully I can keep it going Saturday."
Hogs offensive coordnator Gus Malzahn, who coached Mustain at Springdale High, said, "I think people forget he's a true freshman. They look at what he didn't do well and forget what he did well."
Malzahn said he believes Arkansas' offense has looked a little more comfortable each week this season.
"The good teams get better," he said. "That's what I've been harping on in practice. The positive thing is, we've got a lot of weapons."
Malzahn said for the past four weeks, Mustain has gotten about 60 percent of the reps at quarterback, with Dick getting the other 40 percent.
"We're trying to find ways to keep defenses off balance," Malzahn said.
Mustain Tries To Keep Patience
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Scout On the Road: SeptemberScout takes a look at some of the top prospects we saw in person during the month of September...
Scout FootballWednesday at 2:00 PM
Longhorns Preview Oklahoma StateTexas offensive players discuss the Longhorns' upcoming game at Oklahoma State to kickoff Big 12 Conference play.
Horns DigestMonday at 6:21 PM
Louisiana CB 'Real Close' to a DecisionIt may not be too long before one of the top cornerbacks in Louisiana makes his decision. Four schools are high on his list and you can get the latest here...
Scout FootballMonday at 6:15 AM
JC defensive back talks ISU official visitOver the weekend, Iowa State played host to one of their top 2017 targets in the current recruiting cycle in Paramount, CA three-star JUCO CB Keisean Nixon. This visit for the…
AllCyclonesSunday at 6:34 PM
TCU vs Iowa State primerAfter falling in double-overtime to Arkansas, TCU looks to get back to their winning ways against Iowa State.
Horned Frog Insider09/15/2016