With Razorbacks ace Nick Schmidt struggling through one of his poorest starts of the season — giving up five runs and eight hits in seven innings — LSU got just enough pitching on the other end in a 6-5 win. The Tigers built a pair of three-run leads, only to see Arkansas rally both times. But in the top of the ninth, LSU finally put away the Razorbacks thanks to a one-out, RBI single off the bat of Chris Jackson.
Arkansas 5, LSU 0
Jess Todd continued his recent pitching mastery, working 8 2/3 innings in a 5-0 Arkansas win. Todd tied a career high with 10 strikeouts and the Razorbacks broke open a close game with three runs in the bottom of the eighth. For Todd, the win was his third in a row in a stretch which has seen the junior right-hander give up just three earned runs in 26 2/3 innings of work.
LSU 5, Arkansas 3
Jared Bradford pitched five solid innings to pick up his second win of the weekend and LSU held off a ninth-inning Arkansas rally to take the series.
The Tigers tagged Razorbacks starter Duke Welker to the tune of four earned runs and eight hits in seven innings pitched, while Arkansas made several key baserunning and defensive mistakes which proved costly.
Despite LSU building a 5-2 lead, the Diamond Hogs came within a few feet of tying the game. Pinch-hitter Jacob Julius sent a towering, two-out shot to deep right-center field, only to have Tigers center fielder Jared Mitchell track the ball down right at the wall for the final out of the game.
1. LSU's Jared Bradford picked up his second pitching win of the series Sunday and his Southeastern Conference-best 10th of the season
2. Razorbacks designated hitter Jeff Nutt had a pair of doubles for the second game in a row
3. Arkansas and LSU set an SEC weekend series attendance record, drawing 29,931 fans to Baum Stadium over the last three days.
1. The Razorbacks dropped to 3-13 in SEC regular-season series play against LSU and have now lost the last three.
2. Arkansas committed three errors, two by first basemen Danny Hamblin alone
3. LSU hit into three inning-ending double plays Sunday
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Cats Picked To Win SEC CrownThe voters at SEC Media Days are convinced: Kentucky has reloaded.
AllWildcatsWednesday at 10:13 AM
Arkansas On Game Days | Tailgate TravelsAs much fun as it is being at an Arkansas football game, the pregame can be just as enjoyable, especially if you have an RV. Head out to Fayetteville to see what makes the…
Scout CFBYesterday at 9:20 AM
"They Are Playing Really Good Football"Arkansas Coaches Bret Bielema and Dan Enos talk about facing Auburn this weekend and the challenges that presents for the Razorbacks.
Inside The AU TigersWednesday at 9:26 AM
Scout's Top 25 Recruiting ClassesScout has a new top school in the recruiting rankings. Take a look at capsules for the top 25 classes in the country, including a new number one.
Scout FootballMonday at 10:20 AM