Hogs Drop Another Road Series
From Nick Schmidt failing to get through four innings of pitching, to poor defense, to a serious lack of hitting, Arkansas hardly showed up at all while the Crimson Tide came out ready to play.
Led by eight shutout innings from Tommy Hunter on the mound and big offensive nights from Alex Avila and Emeel Salem, Alabama made sure this one was never close from the get-go.
Arkansas 12, Alabama 5
The Razorbacks responded in a big way Saturday, hitting four home runs and getting a strong pitching effort from Jess Todd in a 12-5 win.
Danny Hamblin hit his 18th and 19th home runs of the season to set a career high and Casey Coon drove in five runs as the Razorbacks built a 12-3 by the top of the sixth inning.
Todd gave up just one earned run in six innings and struck out a career-tying high 10 batters while picking up a win for the fourth weekend in a row.
Alabama 9, Arkansas 5
Duke Welker failed to pick up a win for fourth consecutive start and Arkansas relievers Travis Hill and Evan Cox struggled out of the bullpen in a 9-5 Razorbacks loss Sunday.
While the Diamond Hogs did perhaps enough at the plate to finish off the series win, Sunday's pitching performance summed up a weekend gone bad. In five innings, Welker was tagged for five earned runs, while Hill also allowed three runs in just two innings of relief.
On the other end, Will Stroup — he was making just his second start of the season — pitched his first career game.
1. Alabama leadoff hitter Emeel Salem went 4-for-5 Sunday and hit 8-for-15 in the series
2. The Crimson Tide won their second straight series against a Top 10 team, having defeated then No. 4-ranked South Carolina two out of three games from April 27-29
3. Arkansas third basemen Logan Forsythe hit his first home run since April 3
1. Arkansas lost its first road series — conference or nonconference — of the 2007 season
2. Razorbacks designated hitter Jeff Nutt finished the series 0-for-14 at the plate
3. Duke Welker struggled for his third consecutive start, giving up five earned runs in five innings
Hawgs Daily Top Stories
Longhorns Preview Oklahoma StateTexas offensive players discuss the Longhorns' upcoming game at Oklahoma State to kickoff Big 12 Conference play.
Horns DigestMonday at 6:21 PM
Louisiana CB 'Real Close' to a DecisionIt may not be too long before one of the top cornerbacks in Louisiana makes his decision. Four schools are high on his list and you can get the latest here...
Scout FootballMonday at 6:15 AM
JC defensive back talks ISU official visitOver the weekend, Iowa State played host to one of their top 2017 targets in the current recruiting cycle in Paramount, CA three-star JUCO CB Keisean Nixon. This visit for the…
AllCyclonesSunday at 6:34 PM
TCU vs Iowa State primerAfter falling in double-overtime to Arkansas, TCU looks to get back to their winning ways against Iowa State.
Horned Frog Insider09/15/2016