Monk Gets Extensive Work In Practice

FAYETTEVILLE -- The ongoing saga between Arkansas wide receiver Marcus Monk and his injured right knee took a positive turn Tuesday.

Monk, who has been trying to return from a second arthroscopic knee surgery in late August, managed to get extensive work during Tuesday's afternoon practice.

Arkansas offensive coordinator David Lee was impressed with what he saw from Monk as the wide receiver participated in one-on-one drills, individual drills and some team work.

It was the most work Monk has been able to go through since injuring his right knee during a preseason practice on August 9.

But the senior's status for Saturday's 1 p.m. homecoming game against Florida International remains uncertain.

"He looked good today. He's not like where he was in two-a-days, but he's way better than what you (reporters) saw last week," Lee said.

"I don't know what that means for Saturday yet. I really think it depends on what happens tomorrow morning when he gets up and what that knee looks like."

Monk has played only one snap this season, in a 9-7 loss to No. 22 Auburn on Oct. 13. He has indicated that he doesn't want to redshirt this season, which he is still eligible to receive.

Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said Monk appeared to have more confidence in his surgically repaired right leg during Tuesday's practice.

But Nutt should have a better idea today as to whether the senior will be able to play against Florida International.

Over the past few weeks, Monk has felt sore the day after getting extensive work in practice. Lee said it would be a promising sign if Monk's right knee didn't swell up following Tuesday's practice.

"This is the most he's done (in practice), so we're excited about that. So we'll see," Nutt said. "It's hard to put a number of plays on all those things that you (reporters) want to ask about. I don't know that.

"I just know that he's far more ready now than he has been, so that's a good sign."

Meanwhile, fellow wide receivers London Crawford (pinched nerve) and Robert Johnson (high ankle sprain) were held out of practice.

Hawgs Daily Top Stories