Arkansas Responds To FOIA Request

FAYETTEVILLE — The University of Arkansas disclosed on Thursday that the men's basketball program committed six secondary NCAA violations in the past 18 months. But the university didn't respond in any way to Arkansas guard Patrick Beverley's assertion in a FOXSports.com report last week that he "violated NCAA rules."

Prompted by Beverley's comment, The Morning News filed a request late last week under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, seeking information on NCAA violations in the men's basketball program.

The university detailed six incidents of self-reported secondary violations, which don't result in repercussions from the NCAA unless they are excessively repeated. Two of the violations pertained to text messages sent to recruits or parents of recruits by coaches on Aug. 1, the day text messaging was banned for college coaches.

One violation of each of the following rules occurred:

• Giving out too many complimentary tickets.

• Allowing an improper official visit for a recruit.

• Having a recruit stay too long on an official visit.

• Conducting skill instructions outside the declared playing and practice season.

None of these violations address the recent news concerning Beverley, who the UA athletic department said "will not compete for the Razorbacks in the 2008-09 season," in an Aug. 8 news release.

Beverley, the 2007 SEC Freshman of the Year, told Sporting News Today on Monday that his ineligibility stemmed from an issue pertaining to a class paper. He also said he "didn't know what his options were" concerning his future, alluding he wasn't sure if he could even become eligible for the 2009-10 season.

The only person who can explain further seems to be Beverley, though, or someone close to him. Due to student privacy laws, the university generally doesn't address claims by any students, like the one Beverley made regarding a potential NCAA violation.

Also, any violations that would have personally identified Beverley as the person involved, if released, couldn't be revealed because of those student privacy laws. The names of involved parties in relation to the six secondary violations were redacted in the university's response.

Hawgs Daily Top Stories