Chancellor: UA To Look Into Beverley's Claims

FAYETTEVILLE — University of Arkansas Chancellor David Gearhart indicated the Arkansas athletic department will be checking into former guard Patrick Beverley's claims that he and his teammates weren't doing their own class papers when he played for the Razorbacks.

Gearhart told The Morning News that Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long will be in charge of looking at Beverley's allegations. Beverley told DraftExpress.com that "someone from Arkansas was doing papers" for he and his teammates.

"(Beverley) didn't name any names, so we have no reason right now to believe any other students were involved," Gearhart said Monday. "We were as surprised as anyone by these allegations."

Beverley spoke with The Morning News late last week and admitted to turning in a paper that didn't belong to him.

However, Beverley was guarded when pressed for details regarding the frequency of the practice among other basketball players.

"I definitely don't want to throw anybody under the bus," said Beverley, who is eligible for the 2009 NBA Draft. "But people were doing papers. I was given paperwork. Someone wrote a paper and I turned it in. Like I said, I was wrong about that."

Beverley was suspended for the 2008-09 season last August and opted to play professionally in the Ukraine. He is back in the United States working out for teams in preparation for the 2009 NBA Draft.

Gearhart said the university won't likely be able to take any further action against Beverley because he's no longer a student.

"If there are current students involved, however, we'll take that very seriously," Gearhart said.



Staff writer Dan Craft contributed to this report.

Hawgs Daily Top Stories