Prosecutors: No charges for Razorback players

FAYETTEVILLE — No charges will be filed against three Arkansas Razorback basketball players accused of raping an 18-year-old female student at a fraternity party early Aug. 27, Washington County prosecutors said Wednesday.

"There's not probable cause to believe a rape occurred," Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Dustin Roberts said. "There's no indication of a provable crime here. Based on the evidence we have, it seems to have been consensual."

The woman reported to university police at 5:45 p.m. Aug. 28 that she was raped about 2 a.m. Aug. 27 in a room at the Phi Gamma Delta house, 10 N. Garland Ave.

According to the incident report, the woman said she was invited to the party and was served large amounts of alcohol and was in a private room with three basketball players. She told university police she was forced to perform sex acts.

Roberts said he interviewed the woman and she doesn't remember much of what happened.

University police investigated the incident and decided not to arrest anyone. They turned the report over to the prosecuting attorney's office Tuesday, Lt. Gary Crain said.

UA Athletic Director Jeff Long said in a statement issued Wednesday, "The athletic department and our student-athletes cooperated with the investigation. These were very serious allegations and we treated them as such.

"Now that the criminal legal process has been completed, we will review the available information to determine if any athletic department rules or policies have been violated. Following that review, we will take appropriate action."

This incident is the latest in a string of off-court events involving the men's basketball program in the past year under coach John Pelphrey.

In August 2008, former guard Patrick Beverley was dismissed from the team and later admitted that someone had written a paper for him, which he turned in as his own.

Several players were suspended from the team throughout the 2008-09 season, including Montrell McDonald early in the season and Jason Henry prior to the Southeastern Conference Tournament. Four players from last year's team are no longer part the program, including McDonald, Henry, Brandon Moore and Andre Clark.

The program is also under scrutiny by the NCAA for its low academic progress rate (APR) and could face the possible loss of scholarships.

Hawgs Daily Top Stories