Oklahoma 67, Arkansas 47

A late first half surge propelled Oklahoma to a hot second half and stymied a good Arkansas start at the Lloyd Noble Center.

A 3-point barrage in the final four minutes of the first half gave Oklahoma momentum and the Sooners used a good defensive effort to beat Arkansas 67-47 Wednesday night at the Lloyd Noble Center.

Trailing by eight, Oklahoma hit six 3-pointers in its final eight possessions of the first half and outscored Arkansas 20-5 in the last 3:47 to take a 34-27 lead at halftime.

Tony Crocker led all scorers with 16 points and added a career-high 16 rebounds for the Sooners and Willie Warren and Tommy Mason-Griffin each added 13 points in the win.

Marshawn Powell scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds for Arkansas, but foul trouble kept him on the bench for much of the second half. Powell picked up his fourth personal foul at the 18:01 mark and didn't return until 9:14 left in the game.

Already stretched thin in the post with the absence of Mike Washington, who missed his second consecutive game with a back injury, the Razorback frontcourt was in foul trouble throughout. Along with Powell's struggles, freshman Delvon Johnson fouled out with 7:21 remaining and redshirt sophomore Michael Sanchez fouled out with 2:43 left.

To make matters worse, the Razorbacks scored their fewest number of points of the season and struggled to get leading-scorer Rotnei Clarke involved. Clarke finished with a season-low 11 points on 5 of 13 shooting. The Oklahoma-native was averaging 28.2 points per game entering the contest.

As a team Arkansas shot just 37 percent and hit only 3 of 18 shots from 3-point range.

It was Arkansas' fourth consecutive loss after dropping three home games to mid-major opponents last week and 20th loss in 24 games dating back to last season.

The Razorbacks (2-5) started strong and led for the game's first 19 minutes, 23 seconds. Arkansas led by as many as eight points at 22-14.

But the Sooners got hot to end the first half, hitting 3-pointers on three straight series to pull within 25-23.

Crocker's basket with 1:10 left in the half tied the game at 25-25 and the Sooners took the lead for good on a Mason-Griffin triple with 37 seconds left before halftime.

While Oklahoma (4-3) couldn't miss during the spurt, the Razorbacks couldn't make. Arkansas went on a drought of 6 minutes, 31 seconds without a field goal over a span late in the first half into the second while the Sooners built a 13-point lead.

That lead grew to as many as 18 before Arkansas used a 9-0 run to cut to within 48-39 on a Powell tip-in at the 8:06 mark.

The Razorbacks got within eight with 6:01 left on another Powell basket, but could get no closer. Like the first half, the Sooners finished the second on a big run - a 16-4 count - despite hitting just 55 percent of their free throws.

It was Arkansas' sixth loss to Oklahoma in the last seven meetings between the two schools.

Arkansas will return to Bud Walton Arena Saturday with a 2 p.m. match-up against Mississippi Valley State.

Hawgs Daily Top Stories